Cantedvalve

How are you wrapping your wiring?

Not much of my underhood wiring is stock anymore. I have relocated the lighting wiring to behind the inner fender along the frame rail. I have a 1 wire alternator, which eliminates the rats nest on the passenger side. I do have a few wires still necessary... gauge feed (which has coil wire in it) main power feed, and electric fan. That's it. So... I have the wiring ready to go... but not sure how I want to wrap it. The new gauge feed harness came with adhesive tape... which isn't "correct" (not that I particularly care about that, but the sticky was on the outside too), so it's been stripped off and cleaned up. Part of me wants to go the stock wrap look... the other part thinks I should go with something more durable. Still want it to look good though.

Ideas? Pics? (Current state of engine bay attached)

IMG_1848.JPG

Since you have some updates to the engine bay, I would consider some sort of split sleeving to protect the wires and clean things up. I purchased this on Amazon and have been pleased with the results. My goal is to clean things up and also make it easier to work on in the future. For me personally I'm not going for the fresh from the factory look, but clean and useful. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VSTFMI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My wiring is in the factory locations.  As long as it's neat I'm not into hiding it.  Since I completely disassembled the engine compartment wiring to repair/rebuild it, I wrapped it with electrical tape.  It took a few different tapes to find one that is flexible and works well.  I tried the original non-adhesive wrap stuff but couldn't do a good job with it.  My MSD wiring is covered with the split loom covering.  If you plan to drive the car in wet weather, the wiring hidden in the fender along the frame is going to get soaked with water.

I am using "Scotch 88" electrical tape on my AAW harness.  You can see it on my 1970 Convertible project forum page.

Cantedvalve - I am getting ready to run my wires in the fenderwells, any pictures/hints/advice would be appreciated!

4 hours ago, 69ShelbyGT350H said:

Just an FYI, Ford used a strip that looked like electrical tape, but it had no glue/stick on it.

Jack at DeadNutsOn.com sells it if anyone reading this thread is interested. I used it because I'm that guy but there is more convenient 21st century stuff available nowadays....

http://www.deadnutson.com/page/page/2965331.htm

I used Scotch 88 for the first few years because it was cheaper than 33+.  However, its adhesive quality is poor in that when you unwrap it, it leaves way too much adhesives on the wires.  I tried the non-adhesive stuff, but it requires skill in starting and stopping the wrap.  With its expensive price tag and extra time to implement, it simply wasn't worth it.  I go through 30 rolls a year, easy.  Scotch 33+ simply cannot be beat for the quality/price point.

But for you, CV, send your wires in, and I'll wrap it in gold leaf foil.   *G*  For the small amount of wiring that you need to wrap, just go with 33+. 

The 33+ is good stuff. I prefer the 88+ personally.  It is thicker and once it goes on, it stays on.   I do agree with the unwrap observation, but I don't ever plan on unwrapping my harness.   But, I will give the 33+ another try based on your suggestion. 

I'll see about getting pictures of the driver side tomorrow or Thursday.  It wasn't too difficult.  I did have to extend the harness by 12" I think.  I drilled a hole in the inner fender near the firewall.  I cut the harness in half, routed the "connector" portion, then spliced it back together with the 12" extensions.  I routed mine under the stone deflector, using soft clamps to mount to the trim bolts.  I also did the headlight relay bypass while I was at it.

I hate sticky with a passion.  I have some braided loom in the basement, but I am not sold on it for the engine bay (used it to wrap the headlight harness for the relocation to the inner fender area).  I will probably check out the split loom.  If I ever have to get back into the wiring, I won't have to break out the knives and adhesive remover stuff to get at it.

I also discovered adhesive lined heat shrink this week!  Wow at stuff is nice.  I used to do my own version with hot glue and regular heat shrink, but this stuff is sooo much nicer.

I ran my Midlife refurbished harness thru the left fender apron below the master cylinder and forward along the frame rail. Its stock length fit all the connections. 

Does not the wiring harness in its stock location get wet also?

IMG_20150906_152859.thumb.jpg.39b0d412b75546494f4deba261276f2d.jpgIMG_20150906_152825.thumb.jpg.3c55e72135cf53fe56278025d2d4eed5.jpg

I hate the look of vinyl/electricians tape, makes things look like they've been repaired. I use hockey stick tape where appropriate. It tears/rips easy instead of pull and stretching or having to cut, comes in different colors and looks like factory fabric tape. Also doesn't turn hard and brittle.