Topless69GT

Tires and wheel photos

I am unhappy with my stock GT wheel setup. They are the original GT wheels that came on the car.  As it is a factory GT, I want to keep the GT wheel look. I am going with the 15x7 GT wheels and I think BFG radial T/A's in 225/60r15 all the way around based off all the posts I reviewed on this site.  I would like to see are photos of that setup on your cars. Particularly from the side and back. My suspension is fairly stock except for grab-a-track 1 inch lowering springs on the front.

Also I plan on putting a better brake setup on the car at a later date and realize the 15 inch wheels will limit my setup options a little. What brake setup are you guys running withe 15 inch wheels? 

I chose those wheels because I liked the GT wheel look and didn't like the trim rings very much. The biggest reason for my going 15" is tire selection. Tons more to choose from and that little bit bigger tire fills the wheel well openings better. Just my opinion. The stock GT wheel in chrome without the trim rings makes a cleaner look in my eyes. Good luck.   Dave R.

You could also wait for Legendary Wheels all aluminum 15x7 version coming out in the near future ...

LW60 
The LW60 wheel is a beautiful recreation of Ford’s 10-slot rims that were used on almost every model in the late ’60s, including Mach 1s, California Specials, Sport Sprints, and GT Mustangs and Fairlanes. They are available in four- or five-lug in Black, Charcoal, or Silver, but the sizes are limited to just one—15x7 only.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/wheels-tires/1709-buyers-guide-to-aftermarket-mustang-wheels/

Legendary Wheel LW60.jpg

Thank you for the feedback. I like the look on the car in the above photo. I see two different manufacturers of the chrome 15 x7 GT style wheel. Wheel vintiques or Scott Drake. The Drake wheels are more $'s but is there a difference in quality between the two? 

My guess is that the Drake wheel is a Wheel Vintiques wheel. I don't think Drake actually manufactures anything, just resells parts from various manufacturers. Drake may have parts made specifically for them to sell but my understanding is they are like CJ Pony, NPD and all the rest of the Mustang warehouses. I don't mean to sound critical. For all I know Wheel Vintiques may be reselling wheels made by someone else. No matter who owns the Mach 1 in the picture, it is gorgeous. Wow.   Dave R.

Not to get off topic, but you are right Dave R.  CJ Pony, NPD, and most other Mustang repro parts retailers all sell the same stuff.  Usually only one mfg. reproduces any one part.  I don't think Scott Drake makes their own wheels.  But some of the items Scott Drake sells are made specifically for them.  I say this because NPD and others sell Scott Drake brand parts.  Years ago Scott Drake's stuff was all USA made, now it's all made in China. 

20 minutes ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

Not to get off topic, but you are right Dave R.  CJ Pony, NPD, and most other Mustang repro parts retailers all sell the same stuff.  Usually only one mfg. reproduces any one part.  I don't think Scott Drake makes their own wheels.  But some of the items Scott Drake sells are made specifically for them.  I say this because NPD and others sell Scott Drake brand parts.  Years ago Scott Drake's stuff was all USA made, now it's all made in China. 

Agreed. But just because Drake specs out a part to be made for them doesn't necessarily mean that part is going to be OEM quality. The fuel sender we have available for instance.    Dave R.

That is true, Dave R.  Drake parts are not nearly as good as originals.  And seem to be progressively getting worse.

I've had the same experience with a Scott Drake fuel sender.  Looked like the original but simply did not work.  I ended up at my local NAPA store to get a working fuel sender.

Looked through my receipts, my mistake, I bought it from Summit Racing.  It is a Spectra brand sending unit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sgt-fg86b/overview/year/1969/make/ford/model/mustang

Although Napa sells the same sending unit.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/STPFG86B

It works just fine.  Probably should start a new thread if you'd like any more information.