rittenrotton

New Radiator Help

I need to purchase a new radiator and I am a little overwhelmed and could use some guidance. I have a 70 coupe with a ford racing 306, a/c a spal electric fan. It doesn't have to be period correct and I was thinking aluminum. heard champion is a good brand but I have also heard griffin is one of top brands, but very pricey. I live in NYC and traffic is my life (except in the mornings or early weekends. Can any one help me with some recommendations? 

Northern Radiator is what I roll with. Inexpensive, but well made.  Here is the one that I am getting ready to install.  I had it modified for brackets for the Flexalite fan I am using, and a NPT bung for the temp sensor for the fan.

IMG_1787.JPG

IMG_1813.JPG

IMG_1815.JPG

IMG_1816.JPG

My radiator developed 2 small leaks and living in NYC there aren't too many radiator shops. The one I did bring it to quoted me $120 for the repairs, so....thats my reason for getting a new radiator.

I was mistaken, I don't have a spal, I have Prpcomp PC2054S 16" S blade electric fan. 

Cantedvalve - looks real good, I'll look into that brand!

I have a Griffin, 24" wide with 2 rows of 1-1/4 tubes.  It's a nice radiator,  and advertised as a direct fit radiator.  The tanks are formed like the originals and it uses the original saddle mounts.  Because the core is thicker than original, I did have to drill new holes in the lower saddle mounts to move them farther from the radiator support.  Then install spacers, about 3/8" thick, between the upper saddle mount and the radiator support.  Lastly, the stock fan shroud slots had to be widened to drop the shroud down far enough.

I don't drive the car in hot weather and I prefer the stock look.  So, if a good radiator wasn't so expensive, I replace it with a high efficient core copper brass radiator from US Radiators.

Here's a cheap version that uses the factory style tanks and mounts. Sold by autocity1958 on eBay. I installed it in a 69 a year ago but my car is only yard driving so far so I can't how good it cools. Mounts with factory mounts and the factory shroud is supposed to bolt up too. 

IMG_4348.PNG

22 hours ago, rittenrotton said:

My radiator developed 2 small leaks and living in NYC there aren't too many radiator shops. The one I did bring it to quoted me $120 for the repairs, so....thats my reason for getting a new radiator.

I was mistaken, I don't have a spal, I have Prpcomp PC2054S 16" S blade electric fan. 

Cantedvalve - looks real good, I'll look into that brand!

And was it running hot?

I was debating on Griffin but they seem kind of pricey.

I agree Brian but they say it could cost more than $120 depending on how much work it needs, for $100 more I could get a new one.

It never got over 200 sitting in traffic with the a/c on. I was debating on switching to Evans coolant once I get the new radiator as I've heard good things about its effectiveness at cooling.

Does anyone have any experience with or know anything about Summit Racing's brand of aluminum radiators?  

13 hours ago, shelbyshelby said:

Here's a cheap version that uses the factory style tanks and mounts. Sold by autocity1958 on eBay. I installed it in a 69 a year ago but my car is only yard driving so far so I can't how good it cools. Mounts with factory mounts and the factory shroud is supposed to bolt up too. 

IMG_4348.PNG

I have the big block version of this.  Probably 750 miles since putting it in to replace a leaky radiator.  Fit in the saddles perfectly.  I'm running it with a 1969 reproduction fan and clutch, reproduction fan shroud, Edelbrock water pump, and 195 degree thermostat.  Stays nice and cool, even in heavy traffic during the summer.

I bought a Champion 3 row aluminum radiator, P/N CC340. $196.99 delivered. Installed it and drove 1000 mile round trip to Louisville for the NSRA in August. No matter how hot or how I drive I cannot get the engine above 190. Direct bolt in. Very happy with it. Search Ebay for it.

20 hours ago, skidmarky said:

I bought a Champion 3 row aluminum radiator, P/N CC340. $196.99 delivered. Installed it and drove 1000 mile round trip to Louisville for the NSRA in August. No matter how hot or how I drive I cannot get the engine above 190. Direct bolt in. Very happy with it. Search Ebay for it.

Champion's website pic shows the same top tank as mine, which was not a direct bolt in. Skidmarky, did the stock upper mounting bracket fit your champion? 

While my Champion keeps my 393 between 185 & 200°, making new brackets added to the fun. 

19 hours ago, RPM said:

Champion's website pic shows the same top tank as mine, which was not a direct bolt in. Skidmarky, did the stock upper mounting bracket fit your champion? 

While my Champion keeps my 393 between 185 & 200°, making new brackets added to the fun. 

This is the smaller radiator, doesn't use the upper or lower brackets, bolts directly to the radiator support.