Raven R code

~ 1969 Power Steering Pump Assembly Detail

There should be a thin paper type gasket over that fitting on the inside between the pump and the housing.  You can only get one in a rebuild kit.  If it's missing, I have made one from gasket material in the past and it worked fine.

I'm not familiar with big block pumps.  But I haven't seen any original 289, 302, 351W, or 351C Mustang PS pumps with the return line fitting pointing upward.  If it ever got replaced by a previous owner it's very common to get a parts store pump with the fitting pointing in the wrong direction.

My car came with the pump and the fitting pointing down.  The front bearing was more than shot so I bought another pump.  That one did come with the fitting pointing up.  Likely incorrect.  I still have the old one with the shot bearing and the correct housing.

I believe your index, or rear support bracket, is incorrect. For a R or Q code it should look like the one below. It should also be phosphate and oil finished IF looking for original look.:

01-26.jpg

54 minutes ago, jmlay said:

I believe your index, or rear support bracket, is incorrect. For a R or Q code it should look like the one below. It should also be phosphate and oil finished IF looking for original look.:

01-26.jpg

Great piece of detail. Where did you see that? The picture gets grainy when I blow it up. The bracket color on mine may be wrong.... but my R code came to me with 3,100 miles on it and my Q code had 35,000 on it and both have the same pump housing.....so not sure what to say but I am intrigued by everyone’s comment about this.