MAC390

Is this raceway still going

24 minutes ago, Vicfreg said:

I have an Englishtown "Raceway Park" sticker on my '68.   Yours is very cool

Drove my 'vert from Connecticut to Englishtown NJ twice back in the 70's. In those days for a couple bucks extra you could park in the pits and wander around among the racers. Good memories. Took some super-8 movies with my parents camera but never got them developed. I wish I had that film today. Don Nicholson, Wayne Gapp/Jack Roush, Bob Glidden...

Ha! The Gapp & Roush Pinto lined up against Bill Jenkins Vega -"Grumpy's Toy" - . Boy, does that bring back memories! I was a teenager back in those days and had pictures like that ripped from hot rod magazines taped to my bedroom wall.

The 351 Clevelands dominated Pro Stock in those days. I remember Jenkins and Sox & Martin were their closest rivals. Jenkins ran a Vega and a Monza Chevy and Sox & Martin ran Mopars.

I've been to the Roush facility in Livonia. We took a Ram pickup up there to run on the dyno. I worked for a company that modified it to run on natural gas and Roush did the EPA certification on the dyno. Maybe we passed each other in the hallway :)  Someday I hope to get to one of his open houses.

14 hours ago, ralt962 said:

I now work for Roush.  You'll likely recognize the picture.  Its a framed pic that is hanging in his museum.  Along with race cars he has a really nice 69 CJ.  

IMG_5565.jpg

Dude! You can't be keeping this a secret. That's pretty cool in my book. Back in the 70's  we used to go to the World Finals at Ontario. 

I worked at Ford for 37 years, now work for Roush in the Alternative fuels group.  

He still has the 69 convertible that he raced back in those days.  

I used to follow these guys in Pro Stock.  Like 69 RavenConv I was a fanatic.  Hot Rod Mag was a staple.  Funny that I now work for Jack.  Still meet with him every few weeks.  Still a shape guy.  

We do mostly Propane, but also have Cert on some natural gas.  

The museum is a great place to stop in if you are ever in Livonia.  Its open to the public.

13 hours ago, 69RavenConv said:

Ha! The Gapp & Roush Pinto lined up against Bill Jenkins Vega -"Grumpy's Toy" - . Boy, does that bring back memories! I was a teenager back in those days and had pictures like that ripped from hot rod magazines taped to my bedroom wall.

The 351 Clevelands dominated Pro Stock in those days. I remember Jenkins and Sox & Martin were their closest rivals. Jenkins ran a Vega and a Monza Chevy and Sox & Martin ran Mopars.

I've been to the Roush facility in Livonia. We took a Ram pickup up there to run on the dyno. I worked for a company that modified it to run on natural gas and Roush did the EPA certification on the dyno. Maybe we passed each other in the hallway :)  Someday I hope to get to one of his open houses.

On 11/7/2017 at 8:31 PM, Vicfreg said:

Here is the Englishtown Decal.  It is still on the window of my '68, will send a pic along of the original, shortly.    

RaceWay Park.png

That's cool. I can still hear the "Sunday!!! SUNDAY!!! At RACEWAY PARK!!!!" radio commercials in my head. (Well, that may be a medical condition instead of nostalgia, but I can still hear them anyway)

Ha, you guys are killing me here! WABC was my favorite radio station as a kid (that's where I heard all those commercials). Believe it or not, somewhere I've got one of those yellow-note-stickers like the one in the video.

Fair enough gents! as long as they go to good homes. 

Vic,

Been around old cars my whole life. There's pics of me teething on dad's 57 thunderbird steering wheel...that he still has and we are doing work on to this day. Almost fell through the rusty floorpan of a 66 dodge charger when i was a kid and dad was driving the newly purchased car home. My first car was a wimbledon white 65 fastback with the 200 in it...bought it when i was 14 and got it drivable by the time i was 16. 

My current 70 was purchased as a gift to myself in '06 after a 16 month tour in afghanistan. holding onto this one though...also fortunate to be living in another golden era of muscle cars and horsepower!

Hey cavboy.  Thank you for your service, you have no idea how much I appreciate it.   I owe you for that brother.  If you need parts, want to see some racing, or need a cold beer, always welcome down here in Charlotte.

My cousin still has his '56 T Bird.  Met him in Carlisle, Pa for the Ford show last summer, brought my '68, had a blast.

Regards, Vic