Sign in to follow this  
1969_Mach1

Radiator

I'd like to reinstall an OEM style copper brass radiator in my 69 Mach 1.  I see a lot of 3 row core copper brass radiators but no 4 row core copper brass radiators.  I would like a 4 row core copper brass radiator.  Or do the 3-row high efficiency cores work as well as 4 row cores?

Any thoughts or sources for these is appreciated.

I used this radiator for a while.  Though it was a lot cheaper 10 years ago.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Heating-Cooling/Radiators-Related/Radiators/Radiator-4-Row-24-68-69-289-302-351W-Mustang.axd

It work grate till I punctured it and it started leaking.  Apparently radiators havet to keep the fluids in them.

3 hours ago, MN69Grande said:

I used this radiator for a while.  Though it was a lot cheaper 10 years ago.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Heating-Cooling/Radiators-Related/Radiators/Radiator-4-Row-24-68-69-289-302-351W-Mustang.axd

It work grate till I punctured it and it started leaking.  Apparently radiators havet to keep the fluids in them.

i believe they are selling the us/coolcraft rad i posted.

barnett468, thanks for the Cool Craft link.  I just kept looking at places like NPD and CJ Pony Parts.

Looking at the pricing I think you guy's are right.  The Mustangs Unlimited radiator is the US Radiator 4 row standard cooling model.  West Coast Classic Cougar sells ACP copper brass radiators.  Are ACP radiators any good? I have to guess from the pricing they are imported probably from China?

I have a 24" wide Griffin in the car now.  Tanks look like the original and it has 2 rows of 1.25" wide tubes.  It was advertised as a direct replacement but never fit quite as good as the original.  It helped the cooling but installing an OEM 7 blade clutch fan is what really made a big cooling improvement.  So now I'm thinking I'd like an original style copper brass radiator that again.

23 minutes ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

West Coast Classic Cougar sells ACP copper brass radiators.  Are ACP radiators any good? I have to guess from the pricing they are imported probably from China?

The acp's i have seen have much smaller tubes which means much less capacity for water which = not good

41 minutes ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

barnett468, thanks for the Cool Craft link.  I just kept looking at places like NPD and CJ Pony Parts.

Looking at the pricing I think you guy's are right.  The Mustangs Unlimited radiator is the US Radiator 4 row standard cooling model.  West Coast Classic Cougar sells ACP copper brass radiators.  Are ACP radiators any good? I have to guess from the pricing they are imported probably from China?

I have a 24" wide Griffin in the car now.  Tanks look like the original and it has 2 rows of 1.25" wide tubes.  It was advertised as a direct replacement but never fit quite as good as the original.  It helped the cooling but installing an OEM 7 blade clutch fan is what really made a big cooling improvement.  So now I'm thinking I'd like an original style copper brass radiator that again.

Are you going to the copper radiator for the look?  I would think that Griffin would very much out-perform the 4 row copper radiator.  I went with a cheaper ACP Alum radiator with similar tubes as the Griffin and it cooled more substantially then the copper radiator.  So a quality Alum with the huge tubes should be even better than that.

Well, after barnett468's answer on the ACP radiators I'll cross those off the list.

MN69Grande, yeah, I'd like the original look again.  I'm not a big fan of the aluminum radiator look.  After looking at prices of a good copper brass US Radiator I was wondering if I can paint my aluminum radiator?  At least the tanks are formed like the originals.  I did a little more research and found Eastwood has a satin black radiator paint.  The description states it doesn't affect hear transfer.  http://www.eastwood.com/ew-radiator-black-12oz-satin-finish.html

Eastwood also has this radiator paint in a gloss black.  I think these were originally a semi gloss or satin black.  I'm not certain.  Does anybody know if the original radiators were gloss black, semi gloss black, or satin black?

Remember that going from 3row to 4row does not add 25% or 33% more cooling. By the time the air gets to that last row it has heated up and you are also putting more restriction tothe airflow.

going wide is more efficient that deeper. If you are not using an AC type radiator then think about going that way.

if you have an engine that is running hot or have a 3 row and that’s not getting it done then you can go to a 4row

3 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

Well, after barnett468's answer on the ACP radiators I'll cross those off the list.

MN69Grande, yeah, I'd like the original look again.  I'm not a big fan of the aluminum radiator look.  After looking at prices of a good copper brass US Radiator I was wondering if I can paint my aluminum radiator?  At least the tanks are formed like the originals.  I did a little more research and found Eastwood has a satin black radiator paint.  The description states it doesn't affect hear transfer.  http://www.eastwood.com/ew-radiator-black-12oz-satin-finish.html

Eastwood also has this radiator paint in a gloss black.  I think these were originally a semi gloss or satin black.  I'm not certain.  Does anybody know if the original radiators were gloss black, semi gloss black, or satin black?

Yes you can but I would not paint the fins. Paint the top tank and the sides as that is what you will see the most

leave the fins alone