rittenrotton

Increasing Seat Height

I have a 70 coupe and I really liked the original seats in my 1970 mustang but the only problem is that they don't recline. So I purchased a set of black fabric seats from a '05 mustang and they look pretty good but the only problem is that they sit about 2" lower than the factory seats. Does anyone know what is the safest way I can increase the seat height?

I knew a short girl who used to sit on a couple of phone books to see over the dash :)  Seriously though,  I've never heard of that problem and it just might be the answer to the many folks looking for more headroom. 

1 hour ago, barnett468 said:

go to a real hardware store and buy 1" - 1 1/4" spacers. they look like a very thick fender washer and can be aluminum or steel. put them on the seat studs then install the seat.

I was thinking about that Mike, but how do you get by the limited inch or 1-1/4" of the stock bolt? Isn't the mounting bolt a press fit into the seat track?

8 hours ago, RPM said:

I was thinking about that Mike, but how do you get by the limited inch or 1-1/4" of the stock bolt? Isn't the mounting bolt a press fit into the seat track?

The spacer needs to be around 3/4" shorter than the seat bolts so there is enough bolt protruding thru the bottom of the floor to get a nut on. I just looked at my spare 69 seat to see how long the bolt is and there re no tracks on it, lol. The 64 thru 68 seats have fairly long bolts. The spacer just sliders over the bolts. Yes the bolts may be tack welded to the track but I don't remember for sure but if so a small cut off tool etc will cut the weld so longer ones can be installed but they need to have a short head so I think I used carriage bolts before then ground two opposing sides down so they were narrow enough to fit in the track.

Another possible option is to use seat extenders. These also allow the seat to be repositioned further forward or rearward depending on how they are installed. Cost is around $80.00.

jg1g2b.jpg

These are the spacers. You can also use machine shaft collars. Some real hardware stores have them in the small specialty item boxes.

10610275_L_1736a776.jpg

Several of these will also be required to do the job properly

Heineken_bottle.jpg

8 hours ago, barnett468 said:

The spacer needs to be around 3/4" shorter than the seat bolts so there is enough bolt protruding thru the bottom of the floor to get a nut on. I just looked at my spare 69 seat to see how long the bolt is and there re no tracks on it, lol. The 64 thru 68 seats have fairly long bolts. The spacer just sliders over the bolts. Yes the bolts may be tack welded to the track but I don't remember for sure but if so a small cut off tool etc will cut the weld so longer ones can be installed but they need to have a short head so I think I used carriage bolts before then ground two opposing sides down so they were narrow enough to fit in the track.

Another possible option is to use seat extenders. These also allow the seat to be repositioned further forward or rearward depending on how they are installed. Cost is around $80.00.

jg1g2b.jpg

These are the spacers. You can also use machine shaft collars. Some real hardware stores have them in the small specialty item boxes.

10610275_L_1736a776.jpg

Several of these will also be required to do the job properly

Heineken_bottle.jpg

Don't you mean cold tasty Fosters Lager

For actually had a kit for people that were short and complained about the seat not being high enough.

the kit was a set of spacers that went between the seat tracks and the seat as well as longer bolts

bob