Bob & Sue

Dash Gauges or A Pillar Pod Ideas

Right now I have a mechanical oil pressure & water temp gauge mounted under the dash kind of a pain to see. Tried the Shelby ash tray mount doesn't fit with factory air without butchering it up so I returned it. I would like to use the stock dash mounting locations with mechanical oil pressure, water temp and volt gauge. My fuel gauge & amp meter (surprisingly works) I would change the fuel gauge to match. It appears to me with the way it's made the only solution would be to purchase an aftermarket unit but I can't justify the cost.

1) Has anyone modified their original gauge cluster? If so any pics or ideas would sure be appreciated.

2) My other idea is to build a fiberglass A pillar 3 or 4 gauge pod. I have enough experience with fiberglass to easily build one. If I did this the 4th gauge would be an Air/Fuel meter. 

Midlife have you made a harness or modification for this?

Cruzzar and I have both custom made our own fiberglass instrument panels utilizing the original panel to accommodate the gauges we wanted. Others on here have adapted aftermarket gauges to the stock panel. Also, still others have bought the aftermarket gauge panels and installed the gauges they wanted. My personal opinion, I've never cared much for the A-pillar gauge pods so that's never been an option for me.

Mine

IMG_1717.JPG

59 minutes ago, Bob & Sue said:

Right now I have a mechanical oil pressure & water temp gauge mounted under the dash kind of a pain to see. Tried the Shelby ash tray mount doesn't fit with factory air without butchering it up so I returned it. I would like to use the stock dash mounting locations with mechanical oil pressure, water temp and volt gauge. My fuel gauge & amp meter (surprisingly works) I would change the fuel gauge to match. It appears to me with the way it's made the only solution would be to purchase an aftermarket unit but I can't justify the cost.

1) Has anyone modified their original gauge cluster? If so any pics or ideas would sure be appreciated.

2) My other idea is to build a fiberglass A pillar 3 or 4 gauge pod. I have enough experience with fiberglass to easily build one. If I did this the 4th gauge would be an Air/Fuel meter. 

Midlife have you made a harness or modification for this?

Yes, but I require the dash cluster be sent in so I can be sure things will fit.  I had one customer lose his cluster in the mail (he neglected to insure it; it was a tach dash cluster to boot!).  I'm not a big fan of this process (due to the shipping issues), but electrically?  I've made harnesses for custom dash clusters several times. 

An A pillar gauge pod adds more difficulties, as I don't have a car to use as a template for determining lengths of wires. 

1 hour ago, Mike65 said:

I am going to be installing the nu vintage usa gauges in my stock cluster.  here is the link to the ones I will be using. http://newvintageusallc.mybigcommerce.com/69-70/

Those look pretty nice.  If I weren't already up and running I think I'd like the VHX Gauges from Dakota Digital http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=791/category_id=434/mode=prod/prd791.htm

That said both these solutions are expensive.  What about a couple cup style pods strapped to the steering column?  I did this with a super mini tach and and AFR and really like the way it looks.. Similar to a rally pac (though not as nice of course).  Maybe you could find a broken Rally Pac and replace the gauges with what you want.  Just a thought.

I am planning on putting an extra couple of gauges in-between the humps of the dash, where an a/c car would have vents, I haven't found anything that would work yet, so i'll prob just fab something up.  I figured its good use of a blank space that is within easy eye shot. Anyone else seen or done this?

I'm not wanting to spend 1k on a new dash pod I would if this car was worth the investment. Will be going with the 3 gauge pod that eliminates the dash speaker that's not there anyway from Mustang Depot or NPD. The only downside to this is you must use electrical gauges not enough clearance for mechanical gauges. Guess I'll use an electrical gauge for oil pressure I don't really like plastic tubing for oil pressure inside the car anyway.
Thanks for the ideas.

Classic Mustang Gauge Pods | FREE SHIPPING +$100

13 hours ago, cavboy78 said:

I am planning on putting an extra couple of gauges in-between the humps of the dash, where an a/c car would have vents, I haven't found anything that would work yet, so i'll prob just fab something up.  I figured its good use of a blank space that is within easy eye shot. Anyone else seen or done this?

I have done this.  It worked well.

sc25.jpg

I don't know what instrument panel you have.  But most gauges are being reproduced.  The only gauges not yet reproduced have the light bluish/grey face color found on the Mach 1 deluxe instrument panels.  The black face and grey face gauges are being reproduced.  Worse case is you need to replace a few gauges.

I used a plastic Auto-Meter Gauge pod that I mounted to the left dash cluster using the factory lower cluster screw (zero modification) for my voltmeter and it blends in quite nicely at the base of the deluxe cluster ... could easily add a second one on the other side with the other lower screw. 

However, this style gauge pod has been NLA from Auto-Meter for a while, but maybe you can find NOS or something similar from a different gauge mfr.

Doug

DSCN0095.JPG

7 minutes ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

I don't know what instrument panel you have.  But most gauges are being reproduced.  The only gauges not yet reproduced have the light bluish/grey face color found on the Mach 1 deluxe instrument panels.  The black face and grey face gauges are being reproduced.  Worse case is you need to replace a few gauges.

Instrument panel w/o tach, black face gauges. I probably have the only original 1969 Amp gauge that works on the planet. 

I have all winter to get this done I'm thinking of replacing the amp to volts, oil pressure, water temp gauges, & new lenses for all. That will leave me with only needing to mount the A/F meter somewhere. 

Thanks all any ideas welcome.

13 minutes ago, stangs-R-me said:

I used a plastic Auto-Meter Gauge pod that I mounted to the left dash cluster using the factory lower cluster screw (zero modification) for my voltmeter and it blends in quite nicely at the base of the deluxe cluster ... could easily add a second one on the other side with the other lower screw. 

However, this style gauge pod has been NLA from Auto-Meter for a while, but maybe you can find NOS or something similar from a different gauge mfr.

Doug

DSCN0095.JPG

Thanks that's where mine are right now water temp on left oil pressure on right. It seems like either the column mounted tach, steering wheel or my knee blocks them, I have a habit of always watching gauges.

17 hours ago, JayEstes said:

Does anyone have any pics of pillar gage pods installed?  What do those look like? Does anyone out there use them/like them? 

I'm curious too. Do the pillar pods block your view? Do they look like an obvious in-your-face modification? It would be nice to keep the stock dash, just for originality, but I'm not opposed to Dakota Digital VHX gauges either.

On 9/27/2017 at 9:42 AM, Bob & Sue said:

Here's a pic with both setup.

P9251567.JPG

Yes I've seen that picture on their site, but the white faces makes it too obvious and a in-your-face modification for me. Maybe black would be better, but without some more pictures its hard to know. Lets see what 1969vert has to show us.

Hi, I've modified my 69 dash cluster to take autometer gauges, 3-3/8 for speedo and tach and 2-5/8 fuel and temp. I added an extra globe in the back of the temp and fuel to have both indicator and dash lights. I've also got a couple of gauges in the console where I removed the ashtray and put a plate in to mount the gauge holders on so they sat below the aircon controls. 

Cheers Mike

IMG_4592.JPG

IMG_4612.JPG

IMG_4745.JPG

IMG_4746.JPG

IMG_4758.JPG

IMG_4777.JPG

IMG_4793.JPG

IMG_4607.JPG

IMG_4736.JPG

IMG_4753.JPG

IMG_4611.JPG

On 30/09/2017 at 3:38 AM, toranav8ss said:

Hi, I've modified my 69 dash cluster to take autometer gauges, 3-3/8 for speedo and tach and 2-5/8 fuel and temp. I added an extra globe in the back of the temp and fuel to have both indicator and dash lights. I've also got a couple of gauges in the console where I removed the ashtray and put a plate in to mount the gauge holders on so they sat below the aircon controls. 

Cheers Mike

IMG_4592.JPG

IMG_4612.JPG

IMG_4745.JPG

IMG_4746.JPG

IMG_4758.JPG

IMG_4777.JPG

IMG_4793.JPG

IMG_4607.JPG

IMG_4736.JPG

IMG_4753.JPG

IMG_4611.JPG