Shep69

Fastback rear windscreen rubber

I purchased the Daniel Carpenter rear rubber . Now fitted the glass and noticed that there is a small strip that runs around the top. Is this going to affect the trim from fitting? This little flap sits up about 2.5mm. 

IMG_3188.JPG

From the picture it looks like it will affect the trim fitment.  I'd try a piece of trim before trimming that.  I purchased mine from NPD long before Daniel Carpenter was making them.  It doesn't have those ribs.  Let us know if it seals without adding additional sealer.  On mine, I had to apply sealer between the rubber seal and the glass and the rubber seal and the pinch weld.  Between the seal and the glass is simple.  But between the rubber seal and the pinch weld is a little difficult and messy.

5 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

From the picture it looks like it will affect the trim fitment.  I'd try a piece of trim before trimming that.  I purchased mine from NPD long before Daniel Carpenter was making them.  It doesn't have those ribs.  Let us know if it seals without adding additional sealer.  On mine, I had to apply sealer between the rubber seal and the glass and the rubber seal and the pinch weld.  Between the seal and the glass is simple.  But between the rubber seal and the pinch weld is a little difficult and messy.

I haven't added sealer yet. I will be even though I don't plan on driving in the rain. I'm just waiting on getting the trim polished. 

Before installing the window some urethane sealer should have been placed in the glass channel, then put the rubber seal on the glass.  If you install the glass with seal on the car like I do using the rope method, that makes it difficult to get sealer between the seal and the pinch weld.

I recall reading a post here that mentioned Ford use to pack caulking strips between the rubber seal and the body which gets covered by the trim.  I've seen a couple of original installed windows with the trim removed and its a mess under the trim.  So I kind of believe it.

I don't drive mine in the rain either.  Then I realized without sealer I couldn't even rinse off the car.

On 9/20/2017 at 11:51 AM, Ridge Runner said:

I believe the small strip is to seal water out from between the rubber gasket and the trim ,my original gasket has the strip and it is hiden under the stainless trim

This......

also to me it it looks like you do not have the window/gasket completely seated.

from my experience I have had to ' wiggle' the glass a bit to get it to seat down into its ' happy place' before getting the trim to be able to go on properly

bob

Question ,  do you put the rubber seal on the window first with the sealer, then apply some sealer to the pinch flange and try to install the window/rubber sealer to the car?   I was doing a practice fit yesterday but I was putting the rubber on the pinch weld first.  Then pull a rope for put the glass in.  Although that way there is no way to really use any sealer between the rubber and the glass.

Best method?

I put the rubber on the window ,install then squirt the sealer between the rubber and the glass . Flatten the end of the tube a bit and it will slip between the two a lot easier ,squirt it in  untill you see it  start to squeeze out as you work the tip around the glass

As I read through this thread I don't understand how sealer is applied into the weather strip groove that fits over the pinch weld?  I have only installed these windows using the rope method.  Its very easy with two people.  But the rope goes into the grove that fits over the pinch weld so you cannot put any sealer in there as well. 

3 hours ago, ralt962 said:

Did any of you have trouble with the trim clips?  I purchased new and have struggled to install them on the studs.  I didnt want to try to hammer them in place yet.  

I used a hammer and punch as they are tight.

5 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

As I read through this thread I don't understand how sealer is applied into the weather strip groove that fits over the pinch weld?  I have only installed these windows using the rope method.  Its very easy with two people.  But the rope goes into the grove that fits over the pinch weld so you cannot put any sealer in there as well. 

You could install the glass with rope, install the trim clips and squeeze sealer around the weather strip and pinch weld.

Installing a rope sealer will not let the rubber seat all the way down ,use 3M black strip caulking in the channel ,about three strips wide will do it ,some may wipe out as you install the window but if you are careful most of it will stay in place . The caulking goes between the body and the rubber after the glass and rubber is installed ,shove the tube tip as far down as you can get it and it is best to go about one inch each tine you squeze the trigger and watch the sealer fill the gap before you move over each time

He is not talking about rope sealer. The rope that is put in the weather strip channel and pulled from inside the car to pull the lip of weatherstrip over the pinch weld. The rope is removed during the process. 

3M strip caulk would work, it not as messy as glass sealer, and does not run unless it is very hot during installation.

13 hours ago, aslanefe said:

He is not talking about rope sealer. The rope that is put in the weather strip channel and pulled from inside the car to pull the lip of weatherstrip over the pinch weld. The rope is removed during the process. 

3M strip caulk would work, it not as messy as glass sealer, and does not run unless it is very hot during installation.

Exactly.  It's a very simply and easy method to install glass that has a rubber seal.  It's the only method I know.

On 10/29/2017 at 5:52 PM, Ridge Runner said:

I put the rubber on the window ,install then squirt the sealer between the rubber and the glass . Flatten the end of the tube a bit and it will slip between the two a lot easier ,squirt it in  untill you see it  start to squeeze out as you work the tip around the glass

Looks like I asked this on another string.  The sealer you talk about is it urethane?  

Then it sounds like you put something like the 3M black weather strip adhesive on the pinch weld flange ( on the top) then using the rope you pull from the inside to get the rubber gasket to cover the pinch weld flange.  This this correct?