RPM

69 Mach 1 Quarter Glass Frame R&R

Unlike my pristine m.i.a oem windows,  both of my replacement quarter windows have broken lower hinges. Before I break some tinted glass,  is there a trick to remove the frame without doing any damage?20170918_131309.thumb.jpg.5c4a270feb0f7dc4df77236a41a54ce8.jpg

To me it looks like an article on how to break your quarter window glass!  I wouldn't to that.  The hammer and block of wood isn't bad but have another person hold the glass with their hands.  Have some foam or padding of some kind below it in case the glass slips out of their hands.  The quarter glass will slowly come out.

Looks about right - hit it with the crappiest hammer in North America and use your carburetor to catch whatever falls off.

Kidding aside, I'm with 1969_Mach1, lay the glass on a towel horizontally on the work bench and tap sideways. I'd probably try some chemical, heat, and/or razor knife experiments, too. Good luck, let us know what works.

I would keep the hammer and block away. I've now done 4 pairs of qtr glass for people and the easiest way is with a mini butane torch. I run the torch up and down the chrome piece (never heat up any one spot for too long). Wear leather gloves while doing this.....keep checking and tugging the chrome piece until it falls off. I know it sounds scary but just make sure you get even heat on the chrome piece and you can't go wrong.

Well well well,  look what came in the box with the new frames today. 

15061460731181406189170.thumb.jpg.aa92ebc434bc813841c32c7ae3ab63b5.jpg

Instructions advising you use a torch on the chrome frame till it becomes loose. Huh, go figure. 

On 9/18/2017 at 4:17 PM, Caseyrhe said:

Didn't  they use the same glue as the glue in glass? 

Does anyone know what adhesive was used? Looking at the original piece doesn't reveal much evidence of any glue. My 2 windows certainly didn't use the glue in door glass adhesive. Whatever was used hadn't failed in 48 years,  as these were in for long haul. 

As usual,  my goggle search turned up everything but an answer. 

20170924_102840.thumb.jpg.bd8a4affa3e2f484acd69fe988796847.jpg

Thanks Jim. Is it a 2 sided tape that goes between both the gasket and frame and the gasket and glass? Test fitting the 3 pieces reveals there is not much free play in there.