Raven R code

~ 1969 steering column shaft seal

There is a gray version of a donut that seals between the outer tube and the inner tube. Did you install that one? PN 7C102A from Musclecarresearch.com

I am looking through my old pics and I have one pic of the two donuts (gray and the black one you have pictured) and the outer, inner and shaft all laid out but not of the final product.

If I recall, I tried to use the one you have pictured, stuffed into the inner tube riding along that plastic piece. I believe the first time I turned the steering shaft, it ended up ripping it. I am pretty sure I didnt install it.

PN 3E629. The middle of the black donut is installed between the end of your steering shaft and the rubber flex joint.

I did mine back in 2011 with the Muscle Car Research Seals.

IIRC ... you need to carefully remove that (obsolete / NLA) plastic retainer then the seal goes up beyond it.   I'm guessing the plastic retainer is what keeps the seal from falling out.

It was a bear getting the seal up in there (lots of lube) and my retainer was gone long ago, so I made something out of white PVC to retain the seal up there and drilled a small hole for a screw on the bottom side of the column tube to retain my custom retainer.

There is also a plastic retainer that holds the outer to inner tube seal in place and thankfully mine still had that (also obsolete / NLA) retainer.

Doug 

I have taken several of these apart.  The foam seal should go in before the white plastic retainer.  As I recall, theh foam seal I purchased was actually 2 seals, with one mounted concentrically inside the other.  I took it apart and I think I used the small one at the top of the column, and the large one at the bottom.  I just squished it in there.  If you don't use these, you will actually get air blowing up through the steering column from the engine compartment....