jgkurz

Aftermarket Automatic Shifter

Hi all, I have a 4R70W automatic trans in my 69. I tried to adapt the original 69 Ford shifter, but the gate will never be correct. PRND12 is in different locations on the 69 shifter throw. It's beyond my fabrication skills to fix it. I was able to get the linkage figured out to drive the car, but its not safe until the gate and reverse lockout work properly. 

Who has installed an aftermarket shifter in their 69 or 70 irrregardless of trans model? 

Has anyone been able to do it without cutting up the center console?

Thank you.

John

I have searched hi and low for a shifter that would fit in the console but it looks like they are all quite large and aren't compatible with a console. I could probably cut up the console and so the shifter bezel fit inside but that's not the look I'm going for. I now am re-exploring the idea of modding the 69 shifter for use with a cable. Fun stuff....

I'll be in the same boat. I have a 408W with a performance automatic 4r70w blue chip package. Waiting for the flex plate bolts to arrive and then dropping in, hopefully this weekend. I also have the TCI Mustang II front end. Any issues with the install, fit fine? What did you do for the trans mount? Let me know what shifter you go with.