po51

Shelby drop

I know this may sound stupid to most of you, but here goes! Getting ready to do the drop and had a brain fart, using the template do the new holes go above or below the factory ones? Meaning will the new holes be closer to the top of the fender/ hood or closer to the ground? Hope the question makes sense?

Steve

I bolted a template I had purchased off eBay into place and use the 1" drop marks. The new holes go below the original. Going to the 1 ¾ " drop position requires the use of a wedge to properly align the upper ball joint and keep it from binding.

20151003_153920.jpg

1969_Mach1, I was just browsing through this thread and see that yopu stated that the Shelby drop requires a ball joint wedge kit. I never heard of that and had mine done for about 2 years w/o this kit. Can you explain a little bit more in depth and is it really necessary. Thanks!

In my photo, the punch is in the 1" drop position. You should have no issues with your ball joints when using the 1" drop. In my photo, you see a 2nd set of marks below the 1", this is the 1 ¾ " drop position. If you use this drop, you will more than likely require the use of a wedge to properly align the upper ball joint and keep it from binding.

2 hours ago, prayers1 said:

1969_Mach1, I was just browsing through this thread and see that yopu stated that the Shelby drop requires a ball joint wedge kit. I never heard of that and had mine done for about 2 years w/o this kit. Can you explain a little bit more in depth and is it really necessary. Thanks!

Maybe I wasn't clear when I wrote the post.  The Shelby drop of 1" is fine without installing the ball joint wedge kit.  I dropped the upper control arms 1" on my car without installing a ball joint wedge kit.  Dropping the upper control arms more than 1" required an upper ball joint wedge kit so they will not bind.