stangs-R-me

Legendary Wheel Alloy version of '69-70 Shelby Wheels

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:21 AM, stangs-R-me said:

Have not seem them listed anywhere in the 17" sizes yet and personally would have no interest as 17" just does not look right to me on classic Mustangs.

Right above that listing though was something I had not seen yet and if I had known about, may have gone with ...

LW60 
The LW60 wheel is a beautiful recreation of Ford’s 10-slot rims that were used on almost every model in the late ’60s, including Mach 1s, California Specials, Sport Sprints, and GT Mustangs and Fairlanes. They are available in four- or five-lug in Black, Charcoal, or Silver, but the sizes are limited to just one—15x7 only.

Legendary 60 Wheel.jpg

Since I am now afraid to drive on my 22+ year old tires I am looking a new tires and wheels in a 15 x 7 size and just save my original chrome styled steel wheels.  The LW60 above is what I am considering.  Is the quality of legendary wheels fairly good?  It almost appears Legendary is a Scott Drake company.  Are they imported or U.S. made?

Looking at your pics, It certainly looks like those 275's will be rubbing on the quarters once you get some weight in the car.   YES, the tire needs to fit up inside the wheel wells ... that is unless you are putting old school AIR SHOCKS on which was the cheap way to avoid rubbing in the 70's.

Whether 275's with the right offset can be made to fit your car without any kind of body or suspension mods, that I can't help you with.

Doug

1 hour ago, stangs-R-me said:

Looking at your pics, It certainly looks like those 275's will be rubbing on the quarters once you get some weight in the car.   YES, the tire needs to fit up inside the wheel wells ... that is unless you are putting old school AIR SHOCKS on which was the cheap way to avoid rubbing in the 70's.

Whether 275's with the right offset can be made to fit your car without any kind of body or suspension mods, that I can't help you with.

Doug

The Nitto555's will be going to a buddy of mine. Not sure where the drag lite's will go. I ran them (Drag Lites) on my 69 Mach 1 with some old Hoosiers back in the day, but had the factory 10 slots for every day driving. Times have changed, and so have tires and rims. 1969_Mach1, I agree about not liking rims that look too big and sidewalls that are too small on a classic car, but this looks like SO MUCH FUN!!!  Remember that my car is NOT a daily driver and will spend time in the show circuit and be doing some DEMO runs on the track circuit. Jump up to about 1:10 to see the classic Mustangs, maybe we will see them on the track in part 2.

5 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

Since I am now afraid to drive on my 22+ year old tires I am looking a new tires and wheels in a 15 x 7 size and just same my original chrome styled steel wheels.  The LW60 above is what I am considering.  Is the quality of legendary wheels fairly good?  It almost appears Legendary is a Scott Drake company.  Are they imported or U.S. made?

Prior to the change I drove my 30 year old tires 180 miles round trip to a car show in August ... including a stretch of 70 MPH interstate !!

I'm very happy with the quality of the Legendary GT9 wheels, Lug Nuts, and Center Caps.

They ARE made in China, and Legendary is a division of Scott Drake as you thought.

I'm kinda glad the LW60 wheels were not yet available when I ordered the GT9's.   I would have likely gone with them, especially now that I've seen actual pictures of all the color variations on vendor sites.   

But having the GT9's mounted for 6 months, I am so glad I tried something new.   Totally changed the look of the car that I've been used to for the past 35 years and everyone that has seen it is impressed / thinks I made a great choice, especially vs. plain ol' Magnums that I also was considering

Back to the LW60's ... The polished / clear coated aluminum rim is a better match to the OE trim rings than a "Chrome rim" which is what you get in a 15x7" Steel Repro 10 slot wheel ... just ends up being too much chrome IMO.   But since these LW60 wheels are not offered with a Chrome Center, it will be more of an appearance change on your Mach 1 that did not offer a painted center option.   I don't think any of the  LW60 options have fully painted centers though, the 10 hole openings are polished making them kinda like the optional body color painted wheels that came with the chrome trim around each opening (which was a rare option available on all '69 Mustangs including Mach 1).   With some matching paint and some tedious masking, this "body-color" look could be applied to a set of these LW60's.   Suppose someone could also re-paint the whole wheel center Argent to duplicate the GT wheel look too.   Legendary does not state if either the 'silver" or "charcoal" options is actually a match to Ford Argent or not ... kinda looks to me that Argent would fall somewhere between these two colors.

Doug           

stangs-R-me, thanks for the information.  I was initially thinking of the Legendary Magnum 500 with the Charcoal color center until I saw the LW60 wheels.  Plus, I like the look of the original chrome styled steel wheels better than Magnum 500 wheels.  But I agree, the repro all chrome styled steel wheels are far too much chrome.  They're almost as bad as the old school all chrome smoothies.

1 hour ago, stangs-R-me said:

Here's the "Charcoal" version ... I'd be torn between this and the Silver one (a few posts up)

Legendary GT8 Charcoal.jpg

And I suppose I should also post the Black version ...

Legendary GT8 Black.jpg

I painted my 1969 GT's 10 spoke body color (Gulfstream Aqua), looked nice with the GT center cap and chrome outer trim.