TinMan

Original flat black Mach 1 hood paint???

Ok. I've got a  survivor kinda. I'm second owner. Original was a chick that I bought her from in 1978.

The hood isn't a survivor. She said a tree fell on it and it's not flat black and the mud is cracking.

I went to a builder that's big into SEMA and supposed to know is poo to get the hood fixed.  Figured since it was already painted, doing it again wouldn't bother the survivor status. Other than being a total douche bag he kept telling me my cowl wasn't original. I'm thinking it is. Anyone else have an original hood???

Ok. This don't look good. The   wiper arm has over spray on it. Is this normal? Or not??

flatblack.jpg

Here's what looks was originally  masked off..

flatblack2.jpg

Here's some age spots and what's obviously hand painted stripes...

flatblack3.jpg

Looking from the passenger side.. he put a lot of stock that since this isn't coated, it's not original. Looks like someone was on the driver side painting the cowl. He's convinced it was someone with a rattle can...

flatblack4.jpg

I see zero overspray on the windshield trim. If you have an original car, is it the same???

flatblack5.jpg

The striping on the hood looks to be original or like original. The pinstripe was done at the factory with a stripe gun (note the rounding of the ends) and they did not go to the edges of the hood as your pictures show. Others have also noted the double application as shown in one of your photos as the paint is worn off. The assembly book states that the blackout was applied after the body was assembled and the trim (wiper arms, window trim, etc) was removed so it possible the wiper posts did get some black paint on them.

Sources: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4435.msg24634#msg24634

17 hours ago, 69ShelbyGT350H said:

The striping on the hood looks to be original or like original. The pinstripe was done at the factory with a stripe gun (note the rounding of the ends) and they did not go to the edges of the hood as your pictures show. Others have also noted the double application as shown in one of your photos as the paint is worn off. The assembly book states that the blackout was applied after the body was assembled and the trim (wiper arms, window trim, etc) was removed so it possible the wiper posts did get some black paint on them.

Sources: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4435.msg24634#msg24634

Awesome! Thank you!!!!