Mike65

Relay placement suggestions.

Over the past few days I have been installing misc items getting ready for the complete rewire of the car & I am to the point of installing the 2 relays for the dual cooling fans,& 1 relay for the EFI electric fuel pump. I am trying to decide if I should mount them under the hood or in the interior. I read one article on installing cooling fans & it said they should be mounted as close to the power source (battery) as possible. I was thinking of mounting the 2 relays & 2 circuit breakers for the dual cooling fans on the l/s front inner fender panel & mount the one for the electric fuel pump in the interior with the inertia switch. What do you think, or do you have a better placement for them.

Hi Mike

I replaced my alternator with  a 3G alternator which allowed me to remove the old style regulator and gave me a little more room on the passenger side. I managed to get 6 relays there but it is real tight.  I don't think I would do it again because it makes it harder to work on if needed .  So my suggestion would be place them where they can be easy to get to for repair if needed.   I had a bad connection  and had to remove about everything to repair it. Then again I guess that's typical of these cars.

Dave

Granted, I moved the battery to the trunk, but this is where my fan relays are located. The headlight relays will mount to the left of the installed relays.

59a351fcdb4f6_Mach1wiringinnerfender.thumb.jpg.2633f0ba5976cd473241571f22fb37ed.jpg

No, not yet. I put one in another car I rewired,. I may have a pix of it. I cut a relay box out of a crown Vic and put in the mustang before I found this. Replacing  It with this one in the near future. I ran lights,horn,fan off relays . set half of fuses to 12v ignition ,half to constant hot.