Sign in to follow this  
MN69Grande

Del-a-Lum Leaf Spring Bushings

I've emailed with John at Open Tracker Racing a little bit lately after I ordered some Roller Spring Perches from them.   One of the topics was on controlling the back end.  I had mentioned I was thinking Pan-Hard Bar or Watts Link and he said to try aluminum bushings for the leaf springs.  Anyone have any experience with this kit?
http://opentrackerracing.com/product/del-lum-leaf-spring-bushing-kit-1965-1973/

Does it help keep the weight in the back from pulling in a hard corner?  For the money it seems like it would be worth trying.

Oh I don't doubt that.  He actually was pitching me on less expensive solutions than what I was looking to do.  I was just wondering if anyone on the forum was using the product and see how much they like them.  I don't mind being a guinea pig.  

When I redid the rear on my car I used urethane bushings in the rear. I hated them! My car felt like a buck board, too harsh! So I went back to rubber on the front of the leafs and stayed with heavy duty shackles and bushings at the rear. I too am wondering how these would affect ride quality.

4 hours ago, ashleesmach1 said:

When I redid the rear on my car I used urethane bushings in the rear. I hated them! My car felt like a buck board, too harsh! So I went back to rubber on the front of the leafs and stayed with heavy duty shackles and bushings at the rear. I too am wondering how these would affect ride quality.

-- This is why I didn't buy a poly kit in the first place.  Since the car is basically for fun on the streets I wanted to keep decent ride quality.

3 hours ago, 427Stang said:

I used Del-Alum bushings on my 68 coupe. They were form Pro Motorsports (this was back in the early 1990's). The ride was rougher than normal but they did improve cornering quite a bit.

-- When you say rougher was it similar to ashleesmach1's statement that it was like a buck board?  I would think the Del-Alum would allow the leafs to move more and do their job better but you would be loosing the cushioning in the bushing.  I was originally thinking a future upgrade would be a Watts Link or a Pan-hard Bar.  But John suggested this bushing kit.

I have 5 leaf rear springs rated at 195 lb./inch and installed Polyurethane bushings on them: (1) The front press in bushings walking out and (2) under hard acceleration (not tire spinning acceleration) the rear of the car felt a little unstable, side to side.  The polyurethane bushings stopped both those issues but the ride did get a little more harsh.

Unless you have soft leaf springs, I'd expect a harsh ride from the Del-A-Lum.  By the way, those Del-A-Lum bushing kits are made by Global West.  You can get them direct fromt Global West and even places like Summit Racing.  Global West has some nice products.  I have their adjustable Monte Carlo bar, subframe connectors (not installed yet), and coil spring insulators.

1 hour ago, MN69Grande said:

-- This is why I didn't buy a poly kit in the first place.  Since the car is basically for fun on the streets I wanted to keep decent ride quality.

-- When you say rougher was it similar to ashleesmach1's statement that it was like a buck board?  I would think the Del-Alum would allow the leafs to move more and do their job better but you would be loosing the cushioning in the bushing.  I was originally thinking a future upgrade would be a Watts Link or a Pan-hard Bar.  But John suggested this bushing kit.

The ride wasn't earth shaking but you can feel the difference. The Del-Alum bushings have a very snug fit to control side to side movement. Make sure you lube them well when installing or you will hear them.

I just installed a panhard bar suspension on my '70 convertible, pics are posted on my project forum.   I used Poly bushings.  I have not driven the car yet, but I have Poly bushings on my '68 and I like the way the car handles, but sacrificed some ride quality for it.