Sign in to follow this  
martiy1971

Slamming Door

Has anyone managed to adjust a factory door so one doesn't have to slam the door to close? the latch mechanism seems to be almost a two stage affair, one click and it closes, but doesn't shut all the way, unless one slams the door. It would be great if one could close the door with that satisfying click that you hear with newer cars.

Mine got a lot better as the new weatherstripping got broken in. Lining the door shell with a sound-deadener (I used rubberized undercoating) helped it sound better, too. But no, it's not as solid as the newer cars. I spent a lot of time tweaking the hinge and striker adjustments but still had to slam it pretty hard, especially when the weatherstripping was new.

I tried moving the striker aswell, but in the end it was either slamming the door or having the door not flush enough with the body... Haven't found the right tweak yet, if there's one in the first place. Maybe the new weatherstripping is a little thicker than the originals..?