Kaspar

26 spline in a 24 C4

I just installed a new torque converter in my 1969 C4. I got it from JEGS, who said the Hughes 42-20 would fit. However the wheel aren't moving at all. After a lot of checking the oil pressure, cables, etc. I found out that the one JEGS had sold me has 26 splines. Whereas I can google that the C4s up until 1969 only has 24 splines. It's strange, cause it really seemed like a perfect fit and everything aligned fine, when assembling it. Do you think that my 24 splines are now ruined from  the 26 splines? It's kind of a drag, but just wanna hear if you know anything about this, before ordering a different converter? Or is it a better idea to change to shaft to 26 splines? And how big a project is it to change the shaft? 

Thanks,

Kaspar

Pulled the whole thing apart today and it doesn't look the shaft has had any damage, though the converter is all smooth without any splines left, so it must be a much softer material than the shaft.

IMG_5376.JPG

If metal has been removed from inside the converter, that trans has to come apart to clean it out.

what we are looking at here is the difference between the early and late version of the C4 transmissions.

the late ones are more popular for drag racing as they are a bit stronger