Vicfreg

Front Disc Brake Rotor Hub-Centric Alignment on Old Drum Brake Hubs

Thought I would document my process of installing late model (1994-2004) Cobra Brakes on the Front of my 1970 Convertible. In particular, how I used late Model Baer Rotors with my 1970 drum brake hubs.   The starting point was finding an NOS set of late model Cobra front brake calipers and pads, which I did, on Ebay.  Then I used the Mustang Steve bracket kit, which worked perfectly.   Mustang Steve also supplies a centering ring that is used to keep the modern rotor centered on the old hub.  The ID of the Baer Rotor hole is about 71mm  The Mustang Steve spacer ring is about 70.5 mm OD. So it is a nice press fit.   The first couple of pictures show the rotor on the hub with no centering ring, the bare hub, the hub with the centering ring, and then the rotor on the hub with the centering ring.  Worked nicely.    

The unexpected problem I ran into was with my new Foose Wheels.  They are Foose Knuckles, 17" x 8", with a 1mm offset and 4.5" backspacing.  When I tried to mount the wheel on the hub, the brake caliper hit the inside of the wheel spokes.  (oops...).   I needed about 1/4" to clear the rotors.  After some searching, I found some 9mm thick hub-centric spacers, and they provided the needed clearance.  The new 9mm spacers had a hole diameter of about 70.5mm, so they also had a gap to the old drum brake hub.  To avoid potential problems with the spacers moving around, I ordered 2 more Mustang Steve centering rings.  I had to take a few thousandths off of the OD on my bench grinder, but I got a press fit into the 9mm spacers, and they worked great.    The remaining pictures show the second spacer ring on the hub, which is sitting on top of the rotor spacing ring, then the 9mm spacer, and finally the Foose wheel sitting nicely distanced from my brand new Cobra rotors.   

IMG_2635.JPG

IMG_2637.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

IMG_2639.JPG

IMG_2641.JPG

IMG_2586.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2643.JPG

brakes.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_2585.JPG

34 minutes ago, Vicfreg said:

IMG_2637.JPG

brakes.jpg

Good that you fixed it. What's up with the two different wheel mounting surfaces on the hubs? I've not come across any like the first pic.

Good question.  I had a matched set of hubs that looked like the one mounted on my Drivers side.  Turned out one of them was warped/bent. 

I searched for another hub and found one, and it is the one I used for the pictures on this post.   Now that you mention it, it looks like an early ('65-'66) hub.   I need to double check on that, and re-take some critical dimensions.    I may need to go back to the parts bin.  I actually have not installed the passenger side yet.  Thanks for pointing that out.!

I did a quick doublecheck, they're dimensionally identical. I just put the bearing races in this morning they fit just fine.   It's interesting that for  the later hubs, they decided to machine the wheel side face of the hub ...the earlier ones just have a cast surface,  I guess it's another Ford mystery.