BillC

70 Mach1 tilt problem

Hey guys,

I have a 70 Mach 1 with a tilt column.  When replacing the turn signal switch I removed the turn signal lever and found someone had made up a plastic collar with two washers that go over the lever where it actuates the tilt. Without the collar in place the tilt won't work. My question is, is there a turn signal lever just for the tilt column or is there something else wrong. I bought the shop manuals but they don't show anything.

Thanks for any insight.

Bill

image.jpeg

I am not sure about 1970, but 69  does not have the collar. I also think it was the same lever for tilt and no tilt. I would guess others will have opinions as worthless as mine, so give it some time. 

It looks like the turn signal lever is the same for tilt or not. It's as though the turn signal switch is not seated down far enough to actuate the tilt mechanism without using the collar. I got the car like this and just replaced the turn signal switch. Now I have the same problem the previous installer had. The switch is screwed in tight as far as it will go and I also noticed that the turn signal lever is difficult to screw in because the switch doesn't seem to be down far enough. That appears to be the reason a collar was added to the lever...to make up the difference. Is that as clear as mud?

Would anyone have an exploded diagram of the tilt column so I can see what is up with this thing?

Thanks,

Bill

OK....It's confession time. I had assumed the collar and washers were a necessary part of the tilt system since they were installed when I got the car. They are not. A mechanic friend of mine came over and screwed in the lever and operated the tilt normally! Because it is a new turn signal switch and still very stiff, I was afraid to put too much pressure on it to get the tilt to work. He wasn't afraid. I thought I would break the lever off inside the switch so I went easy. He did not. Long story short, the tilt works fine. I'll probably never know why the previous owner(s) put the collar and washers on the lever. The old switch tilt worked fine.  Anyway, sorry to bother you guys with this. It was my fault and I'm glad it had a happy ending.

Bill

First picture is the tilt column mechanism. As I recall, when the turn signal switch is assembled on top of the mechanism, the green part on the bottom of the turn signal switch in the picture sits on top of that U-shaped heavy bent wire.  When you move the turn signal switch, and it presses down on that U Shaped item, it compresses the springs in the tilt mechanism, and releases the detent/locking lever that is in the front of the picture.  This release the column to tilt.  The nylon sleeve on the turn signal lever provides a fulcrum spot for the lever to operate the tilt mechanism. The upper housing for the tilt columns is totally different than the standard housings.  

Unlike some of the GM models, Ford only used one lever to do both the tilt function and the turn signal function.

The second picture shows the 2 directional switch assemblies. The tilt column is on the left.  The third pictures shows the tilt column directional switch lever, which has the nylon sleeve on it. 

IMG_1272.JPG

IMG_2644.JPG

IMG_2645.JPG