NordicDawn

Steel Wheels - Center Hole to big?

Hello,

I wanted to order a set of period correct steel wheels in 15inch to have them painted body color with '70 hubcaps for our '70. The only company I found that still makes them is Wheel Vintiques (series 62). I haven't been able to find a set of used ones for a reasonable price, so this is my only option so far. But when looking at the specs I saw that these from Wheel Vintiques have a bigger center/hub hole than standard (3.185 inches). Is that a problem? Is it better to add hub centric rings?

Thanks for the help.

When I was shopping a couple of years ago I could not find an aftermarket wheel with the correct size center hole.  All were larger than original wheels.  However, some had smaller center holes than Vintiques.  Though I guess it doesn't really matter what size they are if they aren't the correct diameter to fit snugly.  For me, it was an appearance thing because I was not running hubcaps on the wheels.

research to find out if that particular rim is hub centric or lug centric.  if it's lug centric it shouldn't need any adapter rings and just make sure they balance it by the lugs (which I've found is very difficult to convince a lot of tire shops to do it that way....).

I am surprised they are that difficult to find used.  I would bet that most on this forum have spares just laying around, like me.  I would guess my spare tire has the correct one, if you want one that has been in the trunk for 45 years.  I certainly do not care if my spare is period correct, I could part with it. I would guess others might also.

I am very surprised aswell. I wouldn't have thought it would be such a hard find. The only set of four that I found was going for $750. Sorry, but that is just to much for me (have to be widened and powder coated in body color on top of that) for steel rims on a plain simple 302 coupe. The repro's cost under $100 per wheel. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places (Ebay)?

If a few people have some decent (15inch) spares that they want to part with, I would be very happy.