jgkurz

Neutral Safety Wiring Help

Hi Folks,

I am wring up an aftermarket Baumann Quick4 transmission controller in my 69 Mach 1. The controller requires the following connections for neutral safety. 12v Switched,  Backup Lamp, Ign Start, and Starter Relay. I need to map these back to my original C6 neutral safety switch harness plug where I have cut off original switch off the harness (see below).

Look at the below schematic, I need some help understanding the role of each wire. Is my list correct?

Red/Blue Strip 32B = 12v to Starter Relay

Red/Blue Strip  32A = 12v Ignition Start or Ignition ON from Key?????

Black/Red Stripe 140A = 12v to rear backup lamps

Black/Red Stripe  140 = 12v Ignition ON - for PRNDL shifter light

I'm not sure if 32A is correct but that's what I gathered from the schematic. Thanks for any help.

35668442944_1791993f01_z.jpg

35694358243_3ff01ae043_b.jpg

-John

The diagram is for a 69 Cougar, not a Mustang. On a Mustang the trans light (PRNDL) is not connected as shown- it comes from light switch "R". You should get a Mustang diagram before you get into trouble.

Red/Blue Strip 32B = 12v to Starter Relay (correct)

Red/Blue Strip  32A = 12v Ignition Start or Ignition ON from Key?????  This has power when the key is in "start" only

Black/Red Stripe 140A = 12v to rear backup lamps (correct)

Black/Red Stripe  140 = 12v Ignition ON - for PRNDL shifter light.  NO, not on Mustang. The blue line has power when the key is in the "run/on" position, that feeds the 20A fuse and wire 296, but it doesn't go to the PRNDL light as shown.

1 hour ago, Mach1 Driver said:

The diagram is for a 69 Cougar, not a Mustang. On a Mustang the trans light (PRNDL) is not connected as shown- it comes from light switch "R". You should get a Mustang diagram before you get into trouble.

Red/Blue Strip 32B = 12v to Starter Relay (correct)

Red/Blue Strip  32A = 12v Ignition Start or Ignition ON from Key?????  This has power when the key is in "start" only

Black/Red Stripe 140A = 12v to rear backup lamps (correct)

Black/Red Stripe  140 = 12v Ignition ON - for PRNDL shifter light.  NO, not on Mustang. The blue line has power when the key is in the "run/on" position, that feeds the 20A fuse and wire 296, but it doesn't go to the PRNDL light as shown.

Thanks for the reply. The diagrams I have both say 69 Mach1. I use the Scott Drake - 1969 Mustang Wiring Diagrams and the Forel - 1969 Mustang Colorized Wiring and Vacuum Diagram. Both look like the above diagram. They were expensive so I'll be bummed if they are not correct. 

Can you recommend a wiring guide that is accurate?  My car is a Q Code 428CJ/C6 Mach 1 built on Feb 5, 1969 in Dearborn if that matters. 

Line 140 is fused power that is used by the transmission switch when the shift lever is in reverse to power the reverse lamps.  On a 69 Mustang, it is tied into the radio power, wiper shut-off line, turn signal flasher.  The PRNDL lamp is tied into the running lights, powered from the headlight switch.  This is based upon observations of 130+ 1969 underdash harnesses.  I'd rather believe what was actually produced vice what was published many years ago.  The 1969 Mustang wiring Diagram Manual, the Osborne Electrical Assembly Manual have it correctly diagrammed, which comes from the 11x17 manuals produced by Ford for the technicians (1969 Wiring and Vacuum Diagrams).  All of these books are based upon contemporaneously produced documents with traceable pedigrees.  The Scott Drake and colored diagrams may not be as accurate.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I have the original FORD 69 Shop Manual published by Helm that I bought way back in 69. The wire diagrams are 37 pages and include 69 Mustang and Cougar. The page you show at the top is 2E-10 and is titled: 1969 Cougar Ignition, Starting, Charging, Tachometer and Neutral Switch. The only difference is mine isn't colorized and there are two perspective views of the harness routing on the left side of the 11x17 page. Someone has obviously stolen the information from Helm, and picked the wrong car to boot! You can probably still get the Ford authorized dealer manual at Helminc.com 

Just to tie out this thread for my 1969 Mach 1 C6 neutral safety switch wiring, I edited the diagram to reflect the advice from Mach1 and Midlife. I also verified the PRNDL light is powered by the Blue/Red wire bullet connector. 

Thanks everyone. 

Red/Blue Strip 32B = 12v to Starter Relay

Red/Blue Strip  32A = 12v Ignition START

Black/Red Stripe 140A = 12v to rear backup lamps

Black/Red Stripe  140 = 12v Ignition ON

image.png.62ec235cb041ea54040dd6cb90c6b821.png

I am in the same situation as you jgkurz.

My harness has Red/Dark Blue Strip and  Red/Light Blue Strip wires.

How do you differensiate between 32B and 32A?

Thank you for a promt reply, realy impresive concidering the thread is 5 years old.
My red/light blue wire is the one going to the ignition switch.
However it is only hot during cranking which I presume is correct.
Now I can connect everything knowing it's correct.

Thanks a million for your help.

Out of interst are you happy with the UsShift controller?
Is the gearbox a 4R70W?

Thanks again.