Raven R code

~ 1969 Weatherstrip Retainers

Anyone have a solution for cleaning rock hard hardened adhesive off of the retainers? I tried a test spot with paint stripper and it doesn't seem to penetrate the rock hard adhesive. I would try boiling them if I could find something big enough to hold them. 

I used super unleaded, took a while to soften it up, but cameoff fairly easy. Then came back with lacquer thinner to remove residue before buffing them out. I used a bench grinder with buffing wheel attached, shield removed, and did all my chrome/ ss trim is a couple of hours. Use all the old chrome, the new stuff is so then, is buckles under pressure 

6 hours ago, Caseyrhe said:

I used super unleaded, took a while to soften it up, but cameoff fairly easy. Then came back with lacquer thinner to remove residue before buffing them out. I used a bench grinder with buffing wheel attached, shield removed, and did all my chrome/ ss trim is a couple of hours. Use all the old chrome, the new stuff is so then, is buckles under pressure 

Buffing?? Are these things visible once on the car? Or is buffing part of the cleaning process?  Soaking in gas sounds good but how to soak it without bending is the question. Did you make a soaking tray?

I have straightened cleaned and buffed a lot of trim .a screw driver works best with a little acitone painted on the gunk   .Be careful buffing the channel or any of the stainless ,if it hooks up it will slice you or get you in the face ,it is like a razor blade . Window trim is the worst 

I found that the drip edge trim, boomerang, and joint connector need to go on first, then weatherstrip channel, top quarter window shaft, and then weatherstripping. Then install quarter glass working around weatherstripping. When glass in, install retaining screw.