Sign in to follow this  
Print Dad

Manual steering box advice

Hello All,

Once again I turn to the Pro's here for advice on the old girl.

She is a 70 Mach - -351C with 3 speed stick - -drums all around and manual steering

I have too much play in the steering wheel - - I plan to check it out in a few days and

I am thinking of tackling the front end overhaul myself. Lower control ams, ball joints,

tie rod ends and idler arm etc etc.

But I am pretty certain a lot of the play is from the steering box. I am collecting/ordering parts

for the front end - -

I am also going to grease the box and tighten the sector nut 1/2 turn.

But I am thinking I need a new box. So my questions are

1. - Do I have the box rebuilt - any ideas on who does a good job?

2. - If I buy a box, where will I get a stock factory box or something close to it.

I am searching and see things like short sector shaft - flaming river 1/16 boxes - -but I would like

just a factory box or something comparable

This is the car we have owned 40 years and she is in pretty good shape.

Thanks as always - -Print Dad - Sam

Sam,  I removed the factory power steering from my 69 Coupe & went with manual steering. I got a rebuilt steering box from Chockostang, or he can rebuild yours.

http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/

I completely rebuilt the F/E on my Mustang suspension & steering, I used the roller idler arm from OTR. 

http://opentrackerracing.com/product/roller-idler-arm-manual-steer-1967-1970/

Also look into replacing the factory strut rods with adjustable ones. Also get the roller spring perches. 

http://opentrackerracing.com/product/adjustable-strut-rods-1968-1973/     

http://opentrackerracing.com/product/roller-spring-perches/

Just make sure after you are done to align it or get it aligned by someone who knows these old cars.

If the hard metal parts are god in your box, the rebuild it easy. I have rebuilt a number of them over the years.

dont limit yourself to adjusting the box 1/2 turn. You adjust it properly to take up the lash and then you are set.

if the worm and sector are too work out ( many many miles) and cannot be adjusted. That's when the rebuild is needed.

if it was me I would do a base adjustment to get the slack out. I do it by grabbing the flex coupling with one hand and turning the screwdriver with the  other till you get out most all the slop. You should be able to feel the backlash and you don't want to turn it enough to make the pitman move.

once you verify that you have a box that you are able to remove the slop. I would recomend that you pull that cover plate off. Dig a bunch of that craggy old grease out of there and replace it. You will likly find that the old stuff is so hard and solidified that it may not even the touching any of the gears. If this really bad you may have to pull the box to clean it out and regrease it

5 hours ago, Rsanter said:

If the hard metal parts are god in your box, the rebuild it easy. I have rebuilt a number of them over the years.

dont limit yourself to adjusting the box 1/2 turn. You adjust it properly to take up the lash and then you are set.

if the worm and sector are too work out ( many many miles) and cannot be adjusted. That's when the rebuild is needed.

if it was me I would do a base adjustment to get the slack out. I do it by grabbing the flex coupling with one hand and turning the screwdriver with the  other till you get out most all the slop. You should be able to feel the backlash and you don't want to turn it enough to make the pitman move.

once you verify that you have a box that you are able to remove the slop. I would recomend that you pull that cover plate off. Dig a bunch of that craggy old grease out of there and replace it. You will likly find that the old stuff is so hard and solidified that it may not even the touching any of the gears. If this really bad you may have to pull the box to clean it out and regrease it

+1 on rebuilding it yourself.  Only bearings, gaskets, and seals are available new and these are very simply.  I believe NPD has all the parts that are available.  The two areas that wear on these are the gears and the worm shaft where the ball bearings ride.  Power steering cars tend to have less wear in the steering boxes.

There are two adjustments to make on these (and most all) steering boxes. (1) worm shaft preload by rotating the large where the steering column attaches to the steering box, and (2) center steer by rotating the screw on the top of the steering box and locking it in place with the jam nut.  To measure these adjustments you need a dial inch pound torque meter or small inexpensive bar type inch pounds torque wrench.  Also a 12 pt. socket you can to fit snug on the input (worm) shaft.  Then, without any steering linkage attached to the steering box the adjustments are checked by rotating the worm shaft and measuring the torque needed to rotate it.

This is important, for a correct center steer adjustment there is absolutely NO PLAY in the steering box when in the centered position.  There is actually an increased resistance to turn the steering box through center position.  The gears are made to have an interference fit in the center position.  Since people drive straight the majority of the time, gear boxes are designed this way to eliminate impact loads between the gears when your tires hit bumps etc.

These are simple gear boxes.  If you don't have the reproduction Ford service manuals I'd advise getting them.  Not the Chilton's manuals at the parts stores.  The factory service manuals  are very helpful and contain all the specs and adjustment procedures you need.   

Hello All,

First thanks to everyone who read and responded - I appreciate it.

Mike65  -great info and thanks so much for the links

Rsanter - thanks - -I am planning on checking things very soon - -I will check what you say  Thanks

Midlife - -when the car was in the body shop - he checked the front end and thought things were good.

I plan to check it out myself - I can check most of it OK I think - -ball joints, idler, etc

1969_Mach1 - I do have the shop manuals - I will read them tonight -Thanks - -

aslanefe - -I just thew out a few messages - -I think my in-box was full - -could you try again please

Thanks I appreciate all the help.

In the OLD days I would be out in the garage working on the car right now.

Not sure where my mojo is headed - I just retired from teaching after 31 years and it has me feeling

a bit blue and i also seem to lack any confidence in my wrenching skills lately although I have done a LOT

Thanks all - - I will have answers soon

Sam

Hello Sam, still can't pm, so I'll post it here.

Retirement is a big turning point in life and a lot of people feel useless after retirement, they panic and get scared. Key to a healty retirement is finding meaningfull things to do. Some people volunteer at museums etc, some get a part time job. Looks like you already have something in your life that can keep you busy; your Mustang you owned for 40 years. I feel satisfaction when I do something (repair, modification, maintenance) to my cars. I have some retired friends who keep busy tinkering with stuff and they say retirement is under rated; have some other friends that don't do much and they are miserable. I recommend you to keep busy and don't be afraid to work on your car. 

I read your post about the 3D printer you got as a present. I was wondering if you got it running? If so, would you be interested in a project? Replacement turn signal cam sold for around $10 is too flimsy and do not work (does not cancel after the turn). If you can print one that will work , I think there is a market for it.

Also, I saw your post about overhauling front suspension. If you are going to throw away the old lower, upper control arms and spring saddles, do you mind sending them to me? I will pay shipping. I am looking at modifying upper to increase caster and also replacing the rubber bushings with Teflon lined bearings and rod ends but I do not have old worn components to experiment with. 

Good luck on your retirement, I can't wait for when I retire and spend all week in my home shop working on my project Mustangs.

Ersin

12 hours ago, Print Dad said:

Hello All,

Not sure where my mojo is headed - I just retired from teaching after 31 years and it has me feeling

a bit blue and i also seem to lack any confidence in my wrenching skills lately although I have done a LOT

Sam

I think in a short amount of time you'll find other things, such as your Mach 1 to take up your time.  If not, maybe there are tutoring centers that can use some part time help.  If you have a Masters Degree, there is always teaching part time at a community college.  Most community colleges hire primarily part time instructors and prefer those with teaching experience.  I think eventually you'll wonder how you ever found time to teach full time.

On a positive note, you are one of the fortunate few these that can financially retire.  Any more, at least in the private sector, there are no retirement plans offered and the pay is typically too low to fund your own retirement plan.  Or, and here is a nice one, the business, company, etc. will offer a retirement plan, however they do not contribute to it, and you are still not paid enough to contribute to it.

Hello All,

Rsanter - thanks - -I am planning on checking things very soon - -I will check what you say  Thanks

Midlife - -when the car was in the body shop - he checked the front end and thought things were good.

I plan to check it out myself - I can check most of it OK I think - -ball joints, idler, etc

aslanefe - -I just thew out a few messages - -I think my in-box was full - -could you try again please

Sam

Hello All,

Sam

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies and tips and ideas

Ersin - -the printer is still sitting on the shelf - have not followed up much looking

for old drivers for my ope system. I am starting to purchase parts for the front end.

I will let you know - - 

1969 Mach1 - -Thanks - - yes I am very fortunate to have a pension from teaching and

some social security from before I was a teacher. No Masters here - -I was a Vocational

print shop instructor - so no high degrees - but I know printing   LOL

Yes I should be OK once I get the motivation to start doing things. My wife has a long list on

the Honey Do list.

I am not sure what is wrong with me lately - I will run to help a friend on their car - -pull a motor, drop

a trani etc etc - -but when it comes to the Mach - just can't seem to get started and I lack confidence

on it - - -really weird - -I can do a lot of things on other peoples cars

I think I will be OK once I get started on the car - -there are so many things I need to do.

Although the car looks pretty good - it needs a lot of things

I want to swap out the gauges and circuit board, replace the rim blow switch,

likely put in the timing chain - the car is getting up on miles - - 

We have only been to one car show this year and we took my wife's Mustang   LOL

Well I don't want this post to get too far off track.

I hope to clean out, grease the steering boa a and try an adjustment on the sector bolt.

I do plan to rebuild the front end this winter  just not sure if I will do it or find someone to do it.

Be well - -all and Thanks - -SAm

Just jump in on the Mach 1.  Sounds like you have the skills.  If you make mistakes like myself and everybody else, taka a step back, do some more research, and fix them.  Your not building NASA's next space vehicle so mistakes are fine.  Next time you hopefully won't make the same mistake.