Sign in to follow this  
MN69Grande

What tools/parts do you bring on a road trip with your stang

As I get more confidence with my latest drive train I'm beginning to think of taking some longer trips with my Stang.  The last motor gave out on me 8 hours from home as did a wheel bearing.  We had a full set of tools with us and some spare parts but of course not the parts we needed.  So I was just wondering what people would bring them on a multi-day trip or cruise AKA Power tour, or Surgis rally.

Here is my starting list:

Tools:
Standard Socket Set
Standard Wrench Set
Flat and Phillips Headed Screw Drivers
Pliers
Belt tensioning tool (used for 1 person to easily tighten fan belts)
Electrical crimps/crimping tool
Bottle Jack and piece of wood to support frame
Caliper collapsing tool
Drum brake tools
Oil Filter Wrench
Jumper Cables

Parts/Supplies:
Wheel Bearing
Grease for bearings
Break Fluid
Power Steering Fluid
Oil and Filter
Spare Belts
Tire inflating air can/Fix-a-flat
Spark plugs
Plug Wires
Octane Boost
Coolant
Electric Tape

Anything else people take with them on trips?  Last time I didn't bring the wheel bearing and grease but would now.  Trying to set up the ole' boy scout approach of being prepared.

Cell phone (with Haggerty's road side asst number programmed), duct tape, water jug, socket set, wrench set, screw drivers, and a camera. Looking at your list, you need a trailer or chase car. Most towns have a auto parts store these days. 

5 hours ago, Caseyrhe said:

Looking at your list, you need a trailer or chase car. Most towns have a auto parts store these days. 

Chuckling!

My extra parts and fluids fit in a 13" square plastic milk crate with room to spare. Okay, it requires two milk crates. First aid kit, flash light, points, condenser, rotor and cap, solenoid, set of radiator hoses, thermostat, hose clamps and safety wire    I have set of front wheel bearings pre greased in zip lock bags. A mid sized ball peen hammer, punch and chisel are also included. Hey, I was a Boy Scout.

Love the suggestions..

I think hoses might take up too much room for me I think my goal would be 1 and 1/2 milk crates worth of stuff.
Cellphone is an of course 
Camera would be there for other reasons
Work light/flashlight is now on the list
solenoid's aren't that much so and takes up little room(into the box it goes)
I don't have a condenser any more, but cap and rotor make sense
Credit car is going to be there just because
I've Got Heacock Insurance and that number is kept in the car so is AAA
First Aid Kits are in every car - along with Frozen and/or Marvel themed Disney Band-aids for my daughters
Hammer, chisel, and punch are good adds, maybe a dead-blow too.

Maybe some of those caution reflectors would be a good idea too.

Good to know there are some fellow scouters in the crowd.  I wish I could still work the summers as a camp counselor but it would pay the bills.

if you have converted to a pertronix ignition , I always suggest to carry the old points and condenser in your glove box, you never know when it will fail you.

12 hours ago, unilec said:

if you have converted to a pertronix ignition , I always suggest to carry the old points and condenser in your glove box, you never know when it will fail you.

I debate this with myself all the time.  My uncle says the same thing.  He won't even convert to pertronix because he doesn't trust them; according to him every parts store carries points.  But yeah.  I don't know if that is true anymore.  Also I've never heard of anyone's pertronix going out.  I actually happen to have a spare one that never got used for another project I can keep in the box though.