Mach1 Driver

1970 Mustang Exterior Lights (turn signals)

1 hour ago, Machstang said:

Thanks RIch, I think that is the same CD i got through one of the vendors.  Never could get it to work.  I even had a couple of techs from a computer company come over and the thing would just not load up.  I tried windows and apple.  I was hoping there was someone out there that sold a colored print (I've had  them for my BMWs, porsches, VW, and Chevys).  Just havent been able to find a full diagram for mustang.  Having the same problem with my cuda, but at least they sell the diagram, just not color keyed.

thanks,

I have installed a number of the forel cds for my 73 and 70 mach and a couple of master parts list cds as well. I can send you a scanned copy of the exterior electrical diags from my cd. I am also a computer professional, maybe I can walk you thru the install.

1 hour ago, Machstang said:

I found this on another site, but was wondering if they had something like this for a 1970 Mach 1.  Its pretty well done

image.png.71df65abc104865fd160cca90112cf4e.png

Bob, someone took the time and colored the schematics from the CDs you buy currently. That schematic is not 100 % correct (not related to coloring), but very close. 70 should be close to 69 except the front turn signal and side marker wiring.

If you post your problems, there are some electrical savy people here, they might be able to help.

My search skills must SUCK! I have spent days working out an issue with the rear lights on my '70, including a day and half this weekend and as soon as the problem is resolved (I think) I find this AWESOME thread explaining the whole thing. I used fuzzy 1970 wiring diagrams with no explanation and wondered what was going on with the way things were wired. Not being a wiring/electrical guru added about triple the time to work things out. Thank goodness for this boards help. 

The good news (??) is that since I have a '70 I'll probably be addressing the issues again and now I'll have this help.

Belated thanks for posting.

BTW, I have Gary's VintageLED's rear sequential lights and haven't found them to be pixelated. He has some many lights on the board it seems to bleed together.

Just my opinion though.

11 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Bob, someone took the time and colored the schematics from the CDs you buy currently. That schematic is not 100 % correct (not related to coloring), but very close. 70 should be close to 69 except the front turn signal and side marker wiring.

If you post your problems, there are some electrical savy people here, they might be able to help.

FYI, Midlife is the harness expert and runs a harness refab business. He says there are quite a few wire changes in the 70 Stangs. The ones I'm vaguely familiar with: it is the first year to have fusible links, the turn signal change, and Mid said there were changes to the dash harness I believe. In my opinion It would be best to find a good 70 wire diagram.

19 hours ago, Machstang said:

Thanks RIch, I think that is the same CD i got through one of the vendors.  Never could get it to work.  I even had a couple of techs from a computer company come over and the thing would just not load up.  I tried windows and apple.  I was hoping there was someone out there that sold a colored print (I've had  them for my BMWs, porsches, VW, and Chevys).  Just havent been able to find a full diagram for mustang.  Having the same problem with my cuda, but at least they sell the diagram, just not color keyed.

thanks,

Aside from the exterior lighting harnesses, there are many differences between the 69 and 70 models. For example, the Mach 1 had wire provision for the grill sport lamps and on/off switch on the dash, The headlight switch is different (unique)... it mounts like a 69, but internally operates like a 71-73 switch. Also, the ignition wiring is completely different because of the 70s column ignition and neutral safety switch.

For the CD to work you must run the Forel installation. There are two parts first the actual diagram files and then the PDF Owner Guard (registration) software. Finally, you must install separately Adobe "Acrobat Reader DC". Then launch the PDF Owner Guard icon and register your copy using the registration key in your CD case. It's well worth the time to figure out what's broken and get it working.

Anyway here are copies of the Exterior lights wiring diagrams for the 69 & 70 models.

1969 Mustang Exterior Lights Wiring Diagram P1.jpg

1969 Mustang Exterior Lights Wiring Diagram P2.jpg

1970 Mustang Exterior Lights Wiring Diagram P1.jpg

1970 Mustang Exterior Lights Wiring Diagram P2.jpg

I always thought the taillight lens are already designed to defuse the bulb light.  I dont think the stencil film will help any more than the stock lens. I know white or clear led bulbs make a red lens glow orange. I doubt the stencil will fix the color issue, but you can use red leds to compensate for this. Have you looked at what these folks have to offer?.... I have heard good things about their kits. I plan on trying them when I am ready. https://www.hipoparts.com

21 hours ago, Rich Ackermann said:

I always thought the taillight lens are already designed to defuse the bulb light.  I dont think the stencil film will help any more than the stock lens. I know white or clear led bulbs make a red lens glow orange. I doubt the stencil will fix the color issue, but you can use red leds to compensate for this. Have you looked at what these folks have to offer?.... I have heard good things about their kits. I plan on trying them when I am ready. https://www.hipoparts.com

The lens is designed to diffuse a single light source. RPM and I don't like the look of a circuit board filled with light sources. You can see the individual LEDs and to us it looks like an after thought, which it is. It may also be a color issue, but that isn't our main objection. One method would be to use a Plasma bulb from WCCC, which looks like a single light source, but then you can't get the cool looking sequential turn signal of a circuit board. If we could find a method to diffuse all the hot spots it would solve our problem.

38 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

The lens is designed to diffuse a single light source. RPM and I don't like the look of a circuit board filled with light sources. You can see the individual LEDs and to us it looks like an after thought, which it is. It may also be a color issue, but that isn't our main objection. One method would be to use a Plasma bulb from WCCC, which looks like a single light source, but then you can't get the cool looking sequential turn signal of a circuit board. If we could find a method to diffuse all the hot spots it would solve our problem.

Got it. Thanks for the further explanation. Maybe a thin flexible sheet of diffusing material that is red tinted would solve both the transparency and light hotspot/orange color issue?

I have seen a product callled "Rosco lux Red Cyc Silk, 20x24" Sheet of Light Diffusing Material". 

7 minutes ago, RandyatBBY said:

Question What is the emergency warning switch?  iIs it a 69 only thing? or does the 70tie have it too?

It is the hazard flashing light switch, both 69 and 70 have it on the steering column incorporated into the turn signal switch.

The "hazard flasher" is the result of US Government regulations that came out in 1966 that resulted in lots of changes to the cars being sold in those days.  It took a few years to implement this, and most car manufacturers scrambled to meet the requirements.  I have had probably a dozen '65 to -70 Mustangs.  The hazard flashers wound up on the steering column in late '67 for the Mustangs.

Here is a picture of what the '66 Mustang emergency flashers looked like.....

This also resulted in having 2 separate flasher relays in the car.  One for the directionals, and one for the emergency flashers.  

66 mustang flasher.jpeg