Sign in to follow this  
rwcstang

Holley Electric Fuel Pump Question

My question is can ext. Fuel pump over heat and lose pressure if driving the car harder than usual?

This morning, while running errands I somewhat pushed the car to its limits and of course, it's super hot outside as well and noticed the car was stumbling when I came to a stop eventually the car died and pulled over to the side and tried to turn over the engine, The pump wasn't responding at all, so I wanted 10-15 minutes and checked all connections and fuses but nothing shorted out. I waited another 10-15 minutes and finally the car fuel pump turn on but gave a high pitched erratic whine/noise so I limped it back home. after a few hours, I go turn on the pump and the pump is now responding and acting normal it did turn off on me once but I was able to turn back on with no issues. 

when my first pump went out it was doing the same thing, so I think it's about to fail soon. this is the 2nd pump and didn't last 6 months should I replace it or go with a different brand? 

You say you did some hard driving. Did you have little fuel left? I'm thinking if you pulled some long high-G corners and the fuel slushing around might have starved the pump? And no fuel in the pump = no lubrication and it might have been damaged?

3 hours ago, fvike said:

You say you did some hard driving. Did you have little fuel left? I'm thinking if you pulled some long high-G corners and the fuel slushing around might have starved the pump? And no fuel in the pump = no lubrication and it might have been damaged?

Tank was full when this happened, I wasn't really turning any high g turns, just doing some hard pulls. Just this morning I went to drive around and the pump turned off and on twice. so I'm either thinking it's a bad bump | electrical. I did record a video it when I brought it home, it was making this abnormal high pitched noise, like a belt screeching and also another video after where the pump wasn't making that noise after the car was parked for a few hours, but you can faintly hear a light whistle noise. 

at this point I'm ready to go with another fuel pump & looking at the summit reviews, seems this pump is problematic. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8zVFDO4xs-MM2lSVVBPZWU5cW8/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8zVFDO4xs-MREgtdDJfcDh6Vlk/view?usp=sharing

19 hours ago, rwcstang said:

My question is can ext. Fuel pump over heat and lose pressure if driving the car harder than usual?

This morning, while running errands I somewhat pushed the car to its limits and of course, it's super hot outside as well and noticed the car was stumbling when I came to a stop eventually the car died and pulled over to the side and tried to turn over the engine, The pump wasn't responding at all, so I wanted 10-15 minutes and checked all connections and fuses but nothing shorted out. I waited another 10-15 minutes and finally the car fuel pump turn on but gave a high pitched erratic whine/noise so I limped it back home. after a few hours, I go turn on the pump and the pump is now responding and acting normal it did turn off on me once but I was able to turn back on with no issues. 

when my first pump went out it was doing the same thing, so I think it's about to fail soon. this is the 2nd pump and didn't last 6 months should I replace it or go with a different brand? 

FYI:  If you ultimately find its not fuel related, the description of your issue fits the following condition that is not fuel related.  With some hydraulic lifters at high RPM they will pump up and start to hold the valves slightly open.  When the engine returns to an idle the engine will either run rough (missing) or completely die if enough lifters have pumped up.  Let the engine sit for 15-20 minutes for the lifters to bleed back down and the motor will run fine again.  I've seen it happen many times.

Lastly, I haven't read many good reviews for Holley's external electric fuel pumps.  External fuel pumps in general are not as good as an internal fuel pump.  The advantage of the internal fuel pumps is they are submerged in the cool fuel so they operate at cooler temps, thus, last longer.  That is why on late model EFI cars and trucks, people that drive mostly with their fuel tanks having low fuel levels ultimately shorten the life of the fuel pump. 

I'm no expert by any definition but I had this same problem with a Holley blue pump in a $#@vy truck. I guess my feed wires weren't big enough to support the pump causing it to overheat and shut down. I think having the "dead headed" pressure regulator didnt help matters either. Ran a 12 gauge wire and  relay and no problems since. Bo