Ridge Runner

This is not body work !!

Well brought in another one to day .A 66 coupe . Same old thing ,none of the panels were fit before welding .I get to do both quarters,and knock off a set of fiberglass fenders and front valance that was bonded on the car crooked...and it is already painted with blisters in the paint so i also get to strip the paint , Ole Jim is going to be buisy for quite a while !  

Unfortunately this is why I stepped away from my car for awhile. I got my car back from the body shop and am finding all sorts of issues. The quarter panel seems on both C pillars are cracked, I've had to redo the engine compartment over and worst part the A pillar on the driver's side is rusted through. I have finally started working on it again after two years of just letting it sit.

20170802_121350.jpg

20170803_115310.jpg

On 8/4/2017 at 3:35 PM, bigmal said:

It's taken me a lot of restraint not to name and shame. 

If I was the victim of fraud, as all of you guys were, I'd rat out the bad guy in a heartbeat and name and shame would be the least of the perps worries.

23 minutes ago, RPM said:

If I was the victim of fraud, as all of you guys were, I'd rat out the bad guy in a heartbeat and name and shame would be the least of the perps worries.

Right there with you Bob. otherwise they are going to just keep doing it, rat bast.......

6 hours this morning cutting welds drilling out screws and trimming metal just to get the body to slide together one inch,you can see my felt pen marks no longer line up .The gaps are good between the doors ,but the top of the doors arch and the new roof does not so there is going to need to be some cutting grinding and welding there.And i still have to weld the floor back down.

20170806_100446.jpg

20170806_100547.jpg

20170806_100340.jpg

My dad taught me about "caveat emptor" a long ways back up the trail. I've been bitten a time or two but never like the horror stories I'm reading here!

I bought my 'stang last October from a guy on CL. I brought along my brother as a 2nd set of eyes and we went over the car pretty exhaustively. The owner was very forthcoming about the car's shortcomings. It is a '69 Sportsroof that was a 2nd owner. the guys dad bought it 30 years ago and had lost interest in it 10 years ago. It sat under a tarp on the side yard for those 10 years.

It needs new floor panels in the back and the passenger door needs a new skin but everything else appears solid. When I made the purchase I was confident that I knew it's condition and history pretty well, and over the months that I've owned it There hasn't been any new revelations (knock on wood!).

Do you suppose it's the enthusiasm of the buyer getting in the way of his better judgement that causes people to jump into purchases of junk like this?

Axio

yes a buyer in a hurry and not checking the car over usually has the buyer winding up getting the shaft ,but these guys are trying to hide the crappy work and it is sometimes hidden just enough to pass it off on some unsuspecting buyer ...for a short time 

7 hours ago, Axiomatic said:

My dad taught me about "caveat emptor" a long ways back up the trail. I've been bitten a time or two but never like the horror stories I'm reading here!

I bought my 'stang last October from a guy on CL. I brought along my brother as a 2nd set of eyes and we went over the car pretty exhaustively. The owner was very forthcoming about the car's shortcomings. It is a '69 Sportsroof that was a 2nd owner. the guys dad bought it 30 years ago and had lost interest in it 10 years ago. It sat under a tarp on the side yard for those 10 years.

It needs new floor panels in the back and the passenger door needs a new skin but everything else appears solid. When I made the purchase I was confident that I knew it's condition and history pretty well, and over the months that I've owned it There hasn't been any new revelations (knock on wood!).

Do you suppose it's the enthusiasm of the buyer getting in the way of his better judgement that causes people to jump into purchases of junk like this?

Axio

Inexperience and relying on others in my case. I will only make that mistake once. But I have learnt a lot about Mustangs in the process so it's not all bad. Glass half full or the correct sized glass.

bigmal, I agree with you. The part that gets me the most is you spend a decent amount of money for someone to do a job and everything is fine at first. In my case the problems started popping up almost six months later. Paint started bubbling and seams with way too much filler started cracking. As with you I've learned a lot too. I'm starting to tackle things I would not have done on my first Mustang. This past week I was all set to ship  my car back to another body shop to repair my A-pillar but decided to go at it myself. Unfortunately I found more rust that needs attention. 

I am supposed to replace all the wood in the modle A ,only problem is they welded sheet metal over some of the main structure wood and now i cant remove it .I am going to have to chisel out the out the old  wood ,split the new wood length wise on a band saw  and laminate it back together once i get it in ,if it will go in .If not , i will have to box in the area  to support the bottom of the body with sheet metal, one more ...didnt think before they did it thing .