Ridge Runner

This is not body work !!

Seems lately all i have been doing is repairing crappy repairs ...if you can even call them repairs .now this work was done by a supposed high dollar shop.

The door jamb/striker plate area was rotted clear through so  it was patched with fiberglass and tiger hair. I saw cracks so i hit it with a rubber hammer and the whole thing broke loose . The rust was never removed ,just puttied over

The quarters are about the same ,rotted in the bottoms and patched with fiber glass . I can tell you this will not work ,take the time to remove the rust ,and use metal patches PLEASE!

20170722_073227.jpg

20170722_073220.jpg

20170722_073327.jpg

20170722_073611.jpg

Oh my.  Metal work is not that difficult, so long as one has some experience and a MIG welder (don't forget the grinder!).  Putting filler/fiber glass/bondo over rusted metal will only work long enough to sell the car.  That's a damn shame.  You should state what company worked on that car for future reference.

Well this was bought by a friend of a friend off of ,you guessed it ....Ebay. I wont tell you what he paid for it ,but i could have completly restored a car for the price. It came from back east ,was a coupe and had a very rusty 67 fast back  top sort of welded on ...and was sold as a fastback ,i am sure the fast back part came from a river bed.This is not the first one bought off Ebay done this way that i have seen .Some one is slapping together these wrecks ans half ass doing bondo work ,primering them and selling them as fast backs.I would love to turn this idiot in soon as i find out who it i.

Any who ,it was taken to a "shop" here in Cali. And instead of making repairs they simply covered it over ,so the guy was double screwed ...just makes me angry when i see somthing like this 

my black coupe was my brothers car in high school. It was rear-ended in the 1980s dealer ship did the repairs. Repainted the car several  times after I got my hand on it.. Noticed cracks in the quarter that keeps showing back up.. Was 3/4" thick with bondo and applied over the old paint..2X4 and a sledge brought the 20 year old crease down to a workable area with a hammer and dolly... also the whole trunk lid is bondo from one end to the other...don't know how thick it is...

I can tell you that a majority of the classics that are sold on eBay to buyers on my side of the "pond" are that way... We call them "sausages". You know, the poor quality ones they stuff with shit even porcs wont eat...

Well, it's a shame, really, because a few assholes have managed to make this kind of "work" known as the "US restored cars". You won't find a more derogatory term on European forums now... Such a pity.

Look at this 'vert. Was bought on eBay a couple months ago by a guy in my area. Over $30k. All the typical symptoms: bright red paint with shiny alloy wheels. Then here's what he found under the carpets, and after he sandblasted the lower rear Qpanels.

Ugh... Makes me cringe.

G

IMG_8976.JPG

IMG_8977.JPG

IMG_8978.JPG

IMG_8979.JPG

IMG_8980.JPG

IMG_8981.JPG

IMG_8982.JPG

A buddy in Fresno bought a 67 fast back on Ebay ,when he pulled out the interior quarter trim panels ,it had quarter windows still in it and rolled down ,it was another coupe someone had welded a fast back roof on .

Another friend bought a 67 S  code on Ebay ,he wanted me to paint strip it and put it on the rotisserie .when i removed the carper the floor was red in the front and blue in the back trunk area. Some one had taken a rearended s code and spliced the rear half of another s code to make a complete car .Now the work on all three of these Ebay cars apears to bee the same jack ass passing these wrecked and rust buckets off as fast backs and i will find him some day 

11 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I can tell you ,all of these cars are comming from back east so if you are looking to buy off Ebay ,have it inspected first

Unfortunately, most inspectors don't even know how to tell if a car has had body work or not. Most just want their $350.00 for doing nothing other then taking photos.

I wish i still had the pics of the 67 convert  that was bought off Ebay a few years back ,they paid somthing like 11,000 for it ,it broke in half  setting on my car trailer after the guy gave it to me to haul off.I will have to see  if i can find the pics ,it was the same as that red one above 

5 hours ago, Midlife said:

Guillaume: those pictures are incredible and a crying shame.  I imagine the new owner had a heart attack when he realized what he really had.

Well, he is crying his eyes out... He intended to have it completely rebuilt, but facing the amount of work and associated cost, he then started to think about a Dynacorn body, but it would be near impossible to register it so now, he is thinking about parting it out to sell what's sellable and scrap the rest...

I was just brought another fine example of what not to do ,another shop getting ahead of its self without thinking it through.this is a 1929 modle A .They cant get the doors to gap correctly ,the problem is they already welded in the floor without trying to fit the doors first.The shop doesnt have a clue how to fix it .well what they did was spread the body at the bottom  causing a very wide gap at the bottom and a good gap at the top. 

The only way to fix it is to cut a floor panel out and draw the two ends of the body together to close the gap at the bottom ,and of course it all has to be leveled up first. ALWAYS FIT ALL THE SHEET METAL and level it before welding something up or this is what you will wind up with

20170802_170904.jpg

20170802_170739.jpg

20170802_170701.jpg

20170802_170721.jpg

I think we should set up a network of us that are willing to inspect and even take possession of cars for other members.

i have been doing this for a number of years now for a select groups of people.

for those of us that are knowledgeble on these cars, we can inspect them for those that are out of the area.

i have also taken possession of some of these cars and stored them for a limited time till transport can me arranged.

this for me is not a free service but would come at a reasonable cost

bob

On 7/24/2017 at 1:45 AM, Guillaume69 said:

I can tell you that a majority of the classics that are sold on eBay to buyers on my side of the "pond" are that way... We call them "sausages". You know, the poor quality ones they stuff with shit even porcs wont eat...

There's a whole lot of sad stories on our side of the pond too. I remember one a while ago that had timber inserted and bogged over acting as chassis rails. And in a convertible at that! It's disgusting to think people would even do this to others.

It's disappointing when you pay a lot of money to someone with a supposedly good reputation and the only negative comment was "it could do with a tidy up underneath".

I am just lucky I could do the repair myself or I would have been up for some serious money.

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0991.JPG

It's taken me a lot of restraint not to name and shame. Having said that if I new what the car was actually like I would have still bought it as I wanted one to be able to restore and the price was good. But when you pay a lot for an inspection you expect to know what you are dealing with. Would also have assisted with negotiating the price.