Sign in to follow this  
Print Dad

3D 70 Mach start

Hello All

Well this sure is WAY off the norm of is forum but I am hoping someone

can help me get started in 3-D printing.  I know this post may not get much attention

but I figure at least ask. I just retired about 2 weeks ago from teaching pinting at my local

trade school. My son and daughter-in-law bought me a starter 3D printer.

It is a xyz Davinci Mini . I have run into many issues but here are a few of the major ones

1. - The software requires Mac OS 10.8 - -I am running 10.75- - My I-mac is old and I don't

think it will run on a new OS. I contacted XYZ - for older version of software but they are of NO help.

2. - I have been trying to learn how to use his printer - - it seems i need software to talk to the machine

and a special file TIS or something - I forget. Of course I would love to print a 70 Mach 1 - - 

I do understand printing but this is new to me - -perhaps one of the reasons I knew it was time to retire

and let the students learn from a new teacher that has updated skills

So that is where I am - -a nice new entry printer but I can't do anything with it. I can set up the machine and

load the filament - -but that is all I have e=been able to do.  

I was hoping someone her may recall being a newbie to 3-D printing and could offer some pretty simple

advice

As a side note - little nervous about retirement - been working 50 years last 31 teaching.

I did realize the trade is speeding past me even though I tried my best to keep up with changes - just too much

Thanks and I appreciate any and all comments

Sam - Print Dad

8-10 years ago we had a printer at work, but we used a high priced CAD  program called SolidWorks to model what we wanted. It was a windows based 3D parametric program that was $5-8k per seat. I'm surprised to hear that you can run it off Apple software- I didn't know they made any 3D modeling software. At the time Apples were good for graphics and publishing (manuals etc) but that was about it.

Well you are going to have to learn the software- whatever it is, and then output it to a file that the printer can read. I still use SolidWorks to this day, but it is the most frustrating program I have ever used. I cuss it liberally every time I use it. Even though I've used printers I really don't have any use for one at home, unless it could print metal...but those are way too expensive. Have fun.

Hello Mach 1 Driver,

As always I appreciate your time and thoughts.

Yes - I am a Mac user and I did teach printing/ which turned into

desktop publishing - so that is what I am still a Mac user.  

I have been researching this and it would be so simple if I could just get

old drivers from the printer manufacturer. They are of NO help at all.

I have seen models of 70 Mach's in 3D format - I forget what type of file they are

but they are 3D files that you send to the printer. That is where the major issue is.

I don't have an application that can talk to the printer and send over the info.

You are so right - -Macs were/are great for books, brochures etc etc. My students

get Adobe certifications in several Adobe programs.

Well I ramble on here - -I thank you for taking the time to answer a way off topic 

As a closing - we have only had the Mach out about 3 times this year and have not attended one car show

or meet - - not sure what the issue is - but I think I am just nervous about this whole retirement issue.

Thanks - -be well - -keep it straight and work safe

Sam  Print Dad