jgkurz

Front End Assembly Sequence

Hi All, I dissassembled the front end of 69 Mach1 front end for restoration and am getting ready to re-assemble. The engine will be installed and the car will be driveable but there are no brakets or body parts on front the car. 

I have every part, bracket, screw, bolt, and nut ready to put back on the car but I'm not sure where to start. I have the Jim Osborne Assembly manual but I wasn't sure if the pages were ideal from an assembly sequence perspective. For example, the headlight buckets show already installed in the Osborne manual when the fenders are attached so I assume the buckets should be installed on the fenders before bolting on the car?

My concern is starting the assembly then finding out the fenders, headlights, or grill have to come off because I installed in the wrong sequnce.

Does any of this make sense?

-John

On my 69 Coupe I performed the Shelby/Arning UCA drop, then I installed the front suspension, then the steering box & linkage, next came the brakes, brake lines & hydraulic clutch system. Then once I have the engine built I will install the engine & the trans then install the f/e sheet metal.

Thanks Mike. Like you I did the engine and suspension first. The front end sheet metal is a bit of a mystery to me. 

Should the headlight fender extensions be installed on the fenders before attaching the fenders to the car?

All sheet metal assembly starts with the doors ,they must fit to the quarter and the rocker for any thing to fit correctly .the headlight buckets are easiest fit to the fender before bolting to the car ,then fit the fender to the door and rocker but do not tighten down along the top. I set the cowl on but do not screw it down solid,then tighten the rear bolts of the fender so it will keep the gap at the cowl.The hood would be next ,the front fenders may need to be moved in or out to get the correct gap between it and the hood .the cowl is slightly adjustable and can be aligned to the back of the hood and screwed down. The stone deflector and front valance can now be fit.There may need to ne some adjustments to do with most of the panels for a perfect fit.

65-67  is much easier ,after the doors are fit the hood is next because the cowl is welded solid,the hood is aligned with the cowl and the fenders are then fit to the doors and the hood .

As with all years ,if the doors are not fit correctly to the body nothing will fit correctly on down the assembly

5 hours ago, JET 445 said:

Make sure you fit the grill surround and the moulding to the headlight bucket before you fit the bucket to the fender

Will do. Is that because it's easier to access the inside of the bucket before it's attached to the fender?

Hi folks, Based on all your feedback, here my high-level assembly list. Please comment if I've missed something.

Thank you!

-John

1969 Mustang Front-End Assembly Sequence

1.    Make sure doors are aligned
2.    Assemble Headlight Buckets (Fender Extensions) with grill surround and moulding
3.    Attach Headlight Buckets (Fender Extensions) to fenders
4.    Install fenders to aprons, leave loose on top
5.    Install cowl, leave loose
6.    Install hood
7.    Align all gaps and tighten bolts
8.    Install front bumper
9.    Install gravel shield/stone deflector
10.    Install front valance
11.    Final gap adjustment

Sounds good to me John, but based on my prior posts I don't know much :)

Hopefully this question will help John, since this is his thread. When installing the bumper and all it's fasteners, in order for proper alignment when do you fully tighten the nuts and bolts. The bolts for the bracket to frame rails are easily accessable, but the nuts on the bumper don't look like they can be accessed after installing. Any help is appreciated.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Thanks Brian. I see they call the stone deflector what we nowadays refer to as the valance. Nomenclature, sheesh.

I noticed that too. Between all of us we will get it figured out. : )  

I usually tighten the front bolt on the fenders and the back bolts on the fenders and leave the rest loose ,you can use plastic washers under the bolt heads to keep from scratching your paint ,i think i saw plastic washers at either home depot or lowes,or make some from an old milk carton . You will be making a lot of adgustments as you go so dont get the bolts real tight.

Did you notice the picture above does not show the actual stone deflector or the headlight buckets ?And it is a 68 

3 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Did you notice the picture above does not show the actual stone deflector or the headlight buckets ?And it is a 68 

Ya well, they're probably close enough. And it's mucho better than my Jim Osbourne Assembly Manual which only shows the rear bumper! WTFresno?