Sign in to follow this  
Thin Lizzy

FMX slipping

10 hours ago, Thin Lizzy said:

Thanks for your reply.  I'm not planning on racing it so I'll get it rebuilt.  Thanks for the info about the wide band etc.

that band makes a good amount of difference.

if you want a convertor with a higher stall, one of the places i suggest is below . they have other trans parts as well . a stock fmx with the wide band and good clutches and set up tight will shift fairly solid . no need for a shift kit unless you like to get on it fairly often.

http://www.broaderperformance.com/ford-fmx/164-fmx-10-forged-series-torque-converter.html

For the cost involved with rebuilding the FMX, plus the fact that many shops don't work with them as much as they do c4s, c6s, etc I would shoot for a 4r70w swap. Your existing flexplate and crossmember should work. You would need a controller and a TP cable but you would be getting a fantastic transmission with overdrive built in. I almost did this swap before going with a toploader. Use the search function, lots of info here and on google/other forums.