69 Cruzin

65amp max V Reg with 70amp Alternator?

Going back with refurb headlamp harness( thanks to Midlife) due to mine being fried. Im going to replace headlight switch and Voltage Reg will I'm at it. Question is: Wanting to go back with correct blue regulator from CJ Pony that's rated up to 65amps . Can this be done with  a 70amp alternator or am I just asking for problems? Thanks ahead of time!

You probably would be ok with a 70 amp alternator.  70 amps is the maximum output, 99% of the time it will be 30 amps or less.   If you already have the alternator, fine.  If not, consider whether it is really needed.  I did a load analysis once, and nothing in a factory setup requires that many amps.  Most new things people put on also do not add to a significant need for more amps.  There are 2 things that will get you close to ( or over) 70 amps are  halogen headlights and an electric radiator fan. if your car does not have a need for 70 amps, your alternator will never put it out.   However, if you ever  discharge the battery with the motor off   ( like leaving the lights on whole in the store) , then it will go to the maximum when the motor is restarted.  For that 1% chance, putting 70 amps in a 65 amp alternator should even then be fine.  It is just relay contacts,

By the way, don't bother replacing the headlight switch unless it is broken. They will last a long time as long as you use the headlight relay. Using the headlight relay is a Must Do for bright lights.

Thanks for the reply Danno. Running Halogens and a 100watt stereo amp. Bought the 70 amp alternator because it was the largest amperage they had for a OEM 3 wire hookup. The ol addedge " Bigger has got to be better "I guess.

The reason for the switch  is I kept blowing the 2.5 dash light fuse before toasting the harness..  Thought maybe it was in the switch. Not sure though.

You should be fine with the alternator and halogen headlight relay.

I think you have a different issue with blowing the dash light fuse.  The problem like that is generally in the harness or the flexible wiring panel the lights are installed in on the back of the instrument panel.  The odds are that the light switch is fine. The problem is somewhere else.