zach69grande

to cut or not to cut

So, I picked up an OEM hood from a guy. Got it cheeeaaap. no dents, no holes, little surface rust and some scratches... but a really nice original plain hood. 

I really want to put a shaker on my car. 

Shaker hoods are expensive. 

Is there enough demand out there for original hoods, or should I just cut this one and never look back?

1 hour ago, 1969Fstback said:

I'd break out the sawzall and not even thing twice about it.  

Me too 

Just make sure it's braced well before cutting seen some terrible looking attempts, It's harder to find another good one than doing it right.

I used a hole saw to cut the four corners so that I would have a nice smooth radius in the corners and then cut the edges with an angle grinder fitted with a 1mm thick cutting disc, worked great, give the edges a quick file and it turned out perfect.

I've done a fare bit of sheet metal cutting in the last few months and found an air powered nibler invaluable. Two things. Buy a good one and you need a decent compressor that won't run out of puff every 10 seconds. This was a good excuse to buy a new compressor as well. Sometimes I need to justify my spending and an excel spreadsheet won't always work.

I have an original 1970 Mach 1 Shaker hood that needs some minor repairs that came off of Jason's Mach 1 (He is on the forum).  It is in North Carolina, near Charlotte.   I am going to sell it if you are interested you can send me an email.

On 7/15/2017 at 8:51 PM, Ridge Runner said:

You have to be careful ,a hole saw and a cutoff wheel can cause enough heat to cause the opening edges to warp ,that is why i use a body saw on all sheet metal cutting

Is there any difference between a body saw and a Sawzall? Speed maybe?

Yes ,a sawsall would be a pain in the but to cut a delicate thing like a hood ,a body saw is much smaller and way easier to handle . Home depot had a nice saw made by Ridgid but it has been discontinued .it was actually called a roofing cutter ,but it cut like butter with no distortion .Acme tools sells one that is just about as good but there are no Acme tool supliets near me ,they are mostly back east