Sign in to follow this  
TinMan

Rebuild FMX or swap AOD?

I've searched.. without a lot of luck...

The 48 year old FMX isn't bad. Some stupid teenager decided to install a shift kit and kinda messed up shift points pretty good.. damn kids (that was me)... main issue is she leaks.. and seals that old should.

I just drive around town so the FMX would be fine.. but I'd like to do the 55th anniversary event in a few years 700+ miles from here..

So. Just yank the FMX and find someone to rebuild or go ahead and drop in an AOD? To take advantage of the AOD the diff should really be regeared.. I'm leaning towards just rebuilding the FMX.

Thoughts? Anyone done this (couldn't get a hit on AOD in the search)

I have an AOD in my 69. I went overboard with it by putting in the 4R70W gears and like to have never got it to shifting correctly. (never do that again)

IMHO if you are going to swap to and overdrive I would use the 4R70W and Baugmann controller and u can program the shifts where you want them. It is a much better and stronger  transmission in stock form. The only added cost would be the controller.  If I had to do it over that is certainly what I would do. My .002

I have a 4r70w in my 69 Mach1 with the bauman controller. I have it programed for normal driving, not a race setup. I find that it runs better around town when I shut off the overdrive. Smooth shifts and I can hit the switch and turn it on anytime I need to.

I haven't done an AOD.  But I did add an overdrive to my car, however at the same time I changed the gears from 2.80 to 3.55.  And I love it.  I get similar mileage but a lot more smiles out of driving.  So I would just add besides freeway driving you might also want to think about if you want a little more giddy up in you pony through the whole range.  At 70 mph I get the sameish RPMs now as I did before, but it is a lot more fun getting there.  So while you're messing with the drive train you might want to think about the whole drive train. 

Of course it's easy for me to spend your money right....

If I'm considering this only for a 1 time trip.. think I'll try and just get the FMX rebuilt.. It's a 2 bbl car so there's no performance.. Anyone recommend someone that really knows FMX's?

I had my FMX rebuilt, it took them over a month waiting on parts and they only had one guy who knew a thing about them.  Cost me $750 (out of the car).  It was worth it to me because I didn't want to spend $3K to convert (there are a lot of things to consider besides the transmission when converting), and because my FMX is VIN stamped original to my car.

If cost is an issue, consider that the AOD from 1980's Fords are hard to beat.  I have one in mine, and came across another one for $100 that I keep as a spare. In the Midwest, those old babies are cheap, but they are getting harder to come across. .  Your decision should also depend on keeping the car original or not. Also consider who will be doing the install if you switch to a AOD.  Most tranny shops would not touch a job like that, it requires that you do it.  Another minor feature of the AOD is the engine is quieter at   90 mph on  those long trips.

So you have several things to consider.  A used 1990 AOD is hard to beat as a reasonable improvement.