Sign in to follow this  
69Stanger408

351W w/4R70W Transmission

I pulled the trigger and ordered the 4R70W automatic transmission (Blue Chip Package) from Jegs (Performance Automatic). Connects to a 351W w/Dart Pro heads. Car is towerless w/TCI Mustang II front suspension to include power rack & pinion. What header options are out there that will keep the pipes high and tight to prevent ground scrap. Already have an email in with FPA, open to suggestions.

I haven't done it yet but checked with 12 or more companies. Only two said they could clear the trans and deal with raised exhaust outlets:  Speed Master (definitely the low cost option), and FPA. Mine won't use your heads but FPA says they have 30 some different flanges to fit different heads. My problem is that the exhaust ports are raised 0.125" which moves the headers up and out because of the angle of the heads. Go with the wide bolt pattern if your heads allow it, to keep the bolts away from the pipes and make installation easier. You'll also get wider outlets (by 0.050).

FlowMaster makes several kits with h-pipes that will match up to the FPAs.

Talk to Joe Persad 205-999-4667 for tips, a cross member, shift rod and range selector. He has pictures of the mods needed on "Joe Persad's (joepersad1) Library | Photobucket".

Show us some pictures when you're done.

On 7/11/2017 at 4:21 PM, Mach1 Driver said:

I haven't done it yet but checked with 12 or more companies. Only two said they could clear the trans and deal with raised exhaust outlets:  Speed Master (definitely the low cost option), and FPA. Mine won't use your heads but FPA says they have 30 some different flanges to fit different heads. My problem is that the exhaust ports are raised 0.125" which moves the headers up and out because of the angle of the heads. Go with the wide bolt pattern if your heads allow it, to keep the bolts away from the pipes and make installation easier. You'll also get wider outlets (by 0.050).

FlowMaster makes several kits with h-pipes that will match up to the FPAs.

Talk to Joe Persad 205-999-4667 for tips, a cross member, shift rod and range selector. He has pictures of the mods needed on "Joe Persad's (joepersad1) Library | Photobucket".

Show us some pictures when you're done.

I'm building my 351/408w with AFR 205 renegade heads and a 4r70w.  I'm still waiting for my shortblock to be finished  but I already bought a set of FPA headers.  I can't tell you how they fit I'm my mustang yet but they bolt up to the heads fine. 

I was looking for a crossmember for my 4r70w and came across Joe persad's old threads. I emailed him and after some research i ordered his kit.  He's a very nice and helpful guy.  As always I had lots of questions as usual and he helped me with all of them.