lalojamesliz

Bolts bolts and some more bolts

Hey guys, 

I considered a set of bolts for a 351w from arp but I don't like the reviews saying the bolts aren't always the correct size.

I need the bolts for the timing cover, valve cover, water pump,  water neck, fuel pump, distributor bolt with the hold down and oil pan.

Any suggestions?

I have stage8 locking header bolts, arp intake manifold bolts and arp oil pump studs for the pickup and pump to block.

14 hours ago, RPM said:

Who in the world bad mouths ARP quality? Cost... maybe. ARP is there go to bolt for racers. Buy them and you won't have to worry.

I first started using ARP head studs in 1969 on hemis never used anything else on a engine since their quality is the best there is.

Muscle cars like Ford made many changes over the years even 2 or 3 in a production year ARP stands behind every product they make & they're Made in USA.

Summit sells ARP bolts. They have the kits and alsdo individual bolts. For instance, I bought a basic kit that included the valve cover bolts. I bought some Ford Racing valve covers and they are a thicker design and I needed longer bolts so I just ordered them. As BuckeyeDemon mentioned, one size does not fit all.

32 minutes ago, LiLMike said:

Summit sells ARP bolts. They have the kits and alsdo individual bolts. For instance, I bought a basic kit that included the valve cover bolts. I bought some Ford Racing valve covers and they are a thicker design and I needed longer bolts so I just ordered them. As BuckeyeDemon mentioned, one size does not fit all.

You can also use ARP's website which is easy to use just create a purchase list then either print it or use the links to buy from any of their online sellers.

http://arp-bolts.com/kits/Make.php?_Make=400&_EngModelID=*

1 hour ago, lalojamesliz said:

Thanks everyone,  I didn't think that if I had a fitment issue I could just call them........

I didn't know I can just go on the site and just great a list!

Thank you again guys!

One other tip buy yourself a good set of bolt & nut thread chasers not starter taps. Always even on a new out of the part blow the holes out them with a quality tap oil run the chaser down the threads don't run it down tight to the bottom you only want to make sure there's no burr's that can gall the threads, then blow the hole out. Make sure to wear eye protection I learned from experience how painful it can be.

I'm late just leaving to go watch a couple buddy's run their nostalgia cars 1 is a 64 Ford Thunderbolt, hoping he'll let me make 1 pass.

http://pacificraceways.com/events/nostalgia-race-kd-autowerks-jr-8-lol-3/

Similar to this one with the original 427 in it.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1964-FORD-THUNDERBOLT-2-DOOR-116813

2 hours ago, lalojamesliz said:

Thanks everyone,  I didn't think that if I had a fitment issue I could just call them........

I didn't know I can just go on the site and just great a list!

Thank you again guys!

Dude, get in your car and drive over to Ventura. You can load up at NPD, then drive around the corner to ARP for your fasteners. Then have a burrito for lunch at Johnny's. That's something I've done, more than once.

The sets from ARP are great but very generic 

the majority of the bolts for the engine will work fine, some of the bolts are not none enough or too long depending on variations or the accessories you may have.

in some cases you can get individual bolts from ARP to modify the set into what you need, in some cases they may not have the exact bolt you need and will have to perhaps modify the bolt (shorten/lengthen) the bolt.

keep in mind that external accessory bolts are not as critical as actual engine parts, so you can get away with more

bob

23 hours ago, Rsanter said:

The sets from ARP are great but very generic 

the majority of the bolts for the engine will work fine, some of the bolts are not none enough or too long depending on variations or the accessories you may have.

in some cases you can get individual bolts from ARP to modify the set into what you need, in some cases they may not have the exact bolt you need and will have to perhaps modify the bolt (shorten/lengthen) the bolt.

keep in mind that external accessory bolts are not as critical as actual engine parts, so you can get away with more

bob

This is why I was iffy about buying a kit for $100+

ARP is a stand up company. When my brother bought the engine kit from Summit for his 351W stroker and some of the correct water pump or front cover bolts were not in the kit, he called ARP and they sent him the needed bolts at no charge. $100 on your engine build is a drop in the bucket.

17 hours ago, lalojamesliz said:

This is why I was iffy about buying a kit for $100+

To me the kit is still a good deal. Just buy a few added bolts from them to make the kit exactly what you need.

also, this may be just me but I don't use the kit exactly as they specify anyway. Very few people will see my car from the looking up perspective and some of the bolts on the engine really can't be seen.

so I use the oil pan bolts for misc things in the engine compartment and I use the motor mount bolts for where the export brace bolts to the he firewall

bob

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:10 PM, lalojamesliz said:

Hey guys, 

I considered a set of bolts for a 351w from arp but I don't like the reviews saying the bolts aren't always the correct size.

I need the bolts for the timing cover, valve cover, water pump,  water neck, fuel pump, distributor bolt with the hold down and oil pan.

Any suggestions?

I have stage8 locking header bolts, arp intake manifold bolts and arp oil pump studs for the pickup and pump to block.

I used an ARP engine bolt kit to assembly my motor.  And yes, you usually do not get all the correct length timing cover bolts.  After I figured out what bolts I needed that were missing in the kit, ARP gave them to me.  Don't get the polished stainless steel bolts.  The finish on them is so smooth they keep coming loose.  I haven't had that issue with the black oxide finish bolts.  And the black oxide seems to last without any discoloring or fading.

On 7/11/2017 at 3:24 PM, 1969_Mach1 said:

I used an ARP engine bolt kit to assembly my motor.  And yes, you usually do not get all the correct length timing cover bolts.  After I figured out what bolts I needed that were missing in the kit, ARP gave them to me.  Don't get the polished stainless steel bolts.  The finish on them is so smooth they keep coming loose.  I haven't had that issue with the black oxide finish bolts.  And the black oxide seems to last without any discoloring or fading.

On 7/11/2017 at 0:04 PM, Rsanter said:

To me the kit is still a good deal. Just buy a few added bolts from them to make the kit exactly what you need.

also, this may be just me but I don't use the kit exactly as they specify anyway. Very few people will see my car from the looking up perspective and some of the bolts on the engine really can't be seen.

so I use the oil pan bolts for misc things in the engine compartment and I use the motor mount bolts for where the export brace bolts to the he firewall

bob

Thanks for the tip guys