lalojamesliz

Vic Jr intake with MACH1 hood

I'm looking at purchasing a nice original MACH1 hood without the scoop since my hood is beat up on the front edge. 

I have a ford motorsports vic Jr intake that I'll use on my 408w and I was wondering if Its possible to cut out the area under the scoop so a air filter can fit with the hood closed. 

Something like this must have been done in the past if anyone here has seen it or knows if this will work. 

I really don't want a cowl hood. It's just not for me. 

51 minutes ago, BuckeyeDemon said:

you can fit a small oval air cleaner if you cut the hood.

or you can run a drop base 14" air cleaner and not have to cut the hood (i'm guessing you don't have a choke).

I don't mind cutting the hood,  or the 14" dropped base filter would be better. 

Whichever one fits with less hassle and does not choke my carb for air is the one I want....

Correct, no choke

So I should be able to stay away from a cowl hood :D

Oh, wait..... I forgot to mention I need to mount the TPS on my carb for the Bauman controller I'm getting. I wonder if the tps will fit with the drop base filter...

i don't know how the automatics fit in these cars, but if you change your engine angle (e.g. drop the tailshaft to allow a larger trans to clear a tunnel), then that can create additional issues because it can cause the front side of the air cleaner to point even higher towards the sky.  the vic jr does not have any built in angle to compensate for the factory engine angle.  so it causes the front side to point higher as well. 

there are other games that can be played to fit an air cleaner if needed (angle mill carb flange, modify air cleaner base for a little added angle, drop engine mounts, etc).  all likely have associated issues as well...

angle milling the carb flange will cause the carb studs to no longer be exactly 90 degrees to it so the mounting holes in the carb might need to be elongated and the nuts still won't be square to the carb flange when tightened which may allow them to loosen from vibration unless they are nylock nuts or loctite is used.

I'll just play it as it goes. I'm getting the hood this Friday if everything goes ok and the engine will be in...... lol I've got a little time.

I'm going to have some time off from my job so I hope to be able to use this time to get some serious progress done on my mustang