smidee

air con kits

im about to replace my 70 factory air con system  looking for feedback on the old air products

hurricane   and vintage kits I know that old air aren't a blended system   so feed abck on the cooling side of things is what im after any feedback would be appreciated

I hadn't heard of old air Hurricane.  I was looking at Classic Air's (Now Original air for some kits) Engine Compartment Upgrade kit.  
https://originalair.com/69-70-mustang-engine-compartment-upgrade-v-8-134a-w-adapter-brackets
So if anyone has any feedback on that one I'd like to add it to the list if possible.

5 minutes ago, Rsanter said:

If you car has the original AC system, why would you,replace it verses repair/update it?

I can't speak for smidee.  But the kit I'm looking at is an upgraded compressor with new factory style replacement engine bay components: dryer, condenser, lines, valves, etc.  All of which needs replaced in my car anyway (most of it is missing).  It cost 1/2 what a full kit costs, and I just figured why rebuild the compressor when I can get a more efficient one as it's not like my car is close to original.  I replaced the evaporator when I had to replaced the heater core since it decided to spit antifreeze all over my new carpet.  They both had some weird oxidation monster growing on them.

29 minutes ago, MN69Grande said:

I hadn't heard of old air Hurricane.  I was looking at Classic Air's (Now Original air for some kits) Engine Compartment Upgrade kit.  
https://originalair.com/69-70-mustang-engine-compartment-upgrade-v-8-134a-w-adapter-brackets
So if anyone has any feedback on that one I'd like to add it to the list if possible.

I purchased that kit from classic auto air as my 69 was factory air, just missing all the bits under the hood. I also removed the plenum and replaced the heater core and upgraded the evaporator. Now my wife complains that the cars to cold and tells me to turn the AC down lol. West Coast Cougar has a good video on stripping the plenum down. It's a big job but worth it . 

1 minute ago, Shep69 said:

I purchased that kit from classic auto air as my 69 was factory air, just missing all the bits under the hood. I also removed the plenum and replaced the heater core and upgraded the evaporator. Now my wife complains that the cars to cold and tells me to turn the AC down lol. West Coast Cougar has a good video on stripping the plenum down. It's a big job but worth it . 

Funny I watched that video 2 dozen times at least to prepare for the job.  What a huge hassle.  All the doors were frozen shut, the gaskets had turned to dust,  the fiberglass needed repair.  Nightmare.  Glad to hear you like the Classic Air kit.

I have  an Old Air products Hurricane system in my 69. I would not recommend it. The install was not too bad but the control is a little wonky. The valve that shuts the heater circulation into the heater core was cheap plastic and leaked. The first one was metal and immediately broke. I had to get different pulleys and the instructions were off. It was NOT a plug and play system. I used NOS air plenums and didn't bother with theirs--they looked cheap as well.

The Vintage air system I think gets good reviews.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:48 AM, MN69Grande said:

I can't speak for smidee.  But the kit I'm looking at is an upgraded compressor with new factory style replacement engine bay components: dryer, condenser, lines, valves, etc.  All of which needs replaced in my car anyway (most of it is missing).  It cost 1/2 what a full kit costs, and I just figured why rebuild the compressor when I can get a more efficient one as it's not like my car is close to original.  I replaced the evaporator when I had to replaced the heater core since it decided to spit antifreeze all over my new carpet.  They both had some weird oxidation monster growing on them.

I know the system usually works better with R12.  I have a couple extra cans if you are interested.