lalojamesliz

Help me choose a neutral balance harmonic balancer guys

Just got off the phone with my engine builder and he told me I'll need a neutral balancer and flywheel/flexplate because the rotating assembly is internally balanced.  That's good right? :)

I wanted to use the 1969 stock crank pulley that's mounted to the balancer with 3 bolts instead of 4 but if I have to replace it with a 4 bolt then so be it.

Any suggestions guys?

Ford has one a dampener that can be neutrally balanced.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6316-D302

They also recommended the this flex plate.  Not sure what you should use if you are going manual and need a flywheel.

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/pma-pax30213/overview/

if you have not purchased radiator/water pump parts, then consider switching to a 70 setup where the inlet and outlet of the radiator are on opposite sides. this impacts the timing pointer location on the damper.

ATI offers the various configurations for Ford.

1 hour ago, BuckeyeDemon said:

if you have not purchased radiator/water pump parts, then consider switching to a 70 setup where the inlet and outlet of the radiator are on opposite sides. this impacts the timing pointer location on the damper.

ATI offers the various configurations for Ford.

I already bought the pump........ so what exactly is the problem? 

I didn't see anything about this issue when I searched for problems with this type of pump. 

3 hours ago, Brian Conway said:

Why not ask your engine builder to supply the parts needed or, in writing, to recommend what you should buy ?  Heck of a time to drop the ball ?  Brian

I will. I just like asking more than one person and with all the knowledge here, I can't go wrong :)

7 hours ago, lalojamesliz said:

I already bought the pump........ so what exactly is the problem? 

I didn't see anything about this issue when I searched for problems with this type of pump. 

there is no problem with the pump. it just has the radiators outlet on the lower passenger side.  the 70 radiators have the outlet on the lower drivers side.  so if you went with the 70 and up type radiators that had opposite side inlet/outlet or some other aftermarket radiator, then you would want the corresponding pump.  I believe it's generally preferred to have inlet and outlet on opposite sides (unless it's a double pass).  This does not imply the 69 setup doesn't work.

FYI the ford Dampener has the marking for either pump.  But I would recommend painting the correct markings prior to putting the engine in the car.  As delivered it is just an engraving in the metal and don't show great under a timing light.  I use a grease pencil to mark where I want the timing to end up to help.  But if I had to do it over again I would have painted all the markings with the engine out of the car.

On 6/27/2017 at 3:58 AM, BuckeyeDemon said:

there is no problem with the pump. it just has the radiators outlet on the lower passenger side.  the 70 radiators have the outlet on the lower drivers side.  so if you went with the 70 and up type radiators that had opposite side inlet/outlet or some other aftermarket radiator, then you would want the corresponding pump.  I believe it's generally preferred to have inlet and outlet on opposite sides (unless it's a double pass).  This does not imply the 69 setup doesn't work.

I have my eyes on a few different double pass radiators. A champion radiator is looking nice 

On 6/26/2017 at 5:14 PM, MN69Grande said:

Ford has one a dampener that can be neutrally balanced.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6316-D302

They also recommended the this flex plate.  Not sure what you should use if you are going manual and need a flywheel.

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/pma-pax30213/overview/

Thank you. I might just go with this balancer and flexplate. I couldnt find a ATI balancer that worked with my set up. 

Internal balanced 2o'clock timing pointer

19 hours ago, lalojamesliz said:

Thank you. I might just go with this balancer and flexplate. I couldnt find a ATI balancer that worked with my set up. 

Internal balanced 2o'clock timing pointer

I used ATI PN#: 917511AK.  it had the 3-bolt pattern pulley, 3" offset, 2pm timing marks (A) and was 0 balance. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ati-917511ak

Edited by BuckeyeDemon
added link to part

On 7/19/2017 at 0:13 AM, lalojamesliz said:

It couldn't have been one of the less expensive ones huh buckeye..... j/k 

Thank you for sharing that :)

You will NEVER regret the investment in an ATI.  Fully rebuildable too.