Shep69

Door issues

Ok so today I started putting the mustang back together after being painted . With  new rubbers Fitted I can't close the doors to match the quarter panel. The strikers are as far in as I can get them and the door sticks out about 6mm . I can force the doors into the correct spot but it's as if the striker needs to be further in. There is a bit of play in the latch , not sure if this is normal. 

IMG_1342.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

This is a common problem with new seals. I am sure they will relax some but can not say how much. You say there is some play in the latch, how much is some, video may help. How badly are the strikers worn?

41 minutes ago, jmlay said:

This is a common problem with new seals. I am sure they will relax some but can not say how much. You say there is some play in the latch, how much is some, video may help. How badly are the strikers worn?

I have tried a new set of strikers . No improvement . 

Have you tried moving the striker out some?  I had the same issue when mine was all the way in.  Mine was too far in to catch completely so wasn't clamping all the way.  I moved mine out some to try and start over with the adjustment it it closed much better. 

Just a thought on something that worked for me.  

Good luck. 

26 minutes ago, SM69Mach said:

Have you tried moving the striker out some?  I had the same issue when mine was all the way in.  Mine was too far in to catch completely so wasn't clamping all the way.  I moved mine out some to try and start over with the adjustment it it closed much better. 

Good luck. 

I can give that ago tomorrow sm69mach but the latches seam to be working . 

I think sm69mach may be on to something.  If I remember the latch has two latch points.  If the seals are tight the second latch may not be catching.  Moving it out a bit may allow it to catch.  When you press on the door will it lay flat?  That would further indicate it's not locking in to the second latch point. 

2 hours ago, jjstang said:

I think sm69mach may be on to something.  If I remember the latch has two latch points.  If the seals are tight the second latch may not be catching.  Moving it out a bit may allow it to catch.  When you press on the door will it lay flat?  That would further indicate it's not locking in to the second latch point. 

That's exactly what happened on mine.  When I moved it out it closed much better. 

16 hours ago, SM69Mach said:

Good luck. 

You da man SM69Mach. Worked a treat. Doors now close . As soon as jjstang  mentioned two latch points i new you guys were on to it. 

Thanks Guys. 

7 hours ago, Shep69 said:

You da man SM69Mach. Worked a treat. Doors now close . As soon as jjstang  mentioned two latch points i new you guys were on to it. 

Thanks Guys. 

Glad it worked out for ya.  Now we need some new pics of the doors closed properly!!!!