Sign in to follow this  
Bruno

Stripped 'er down

Got the car down to American Stripping in Sacramento so it can be blasted down to metal.  I believed the car had a ton of filler, primer and paint and I was honestly a bit nervous to see how much damage was actually there.  I got some time to go down and check out the car after the inital plastic blast so I'm gonna post some pics of the bare shell.  The blasting was not complete as it still had to go to mineral blast for metal cleaning and then it will go to epoxy.  There were clearly some "repairs" that had been done previously.  What confuses me is that someone thought it would be a good idea to braze some patch panels in as opposed to welding them...weird.  Anyway, check out the pics.  I should get the car back in a week or two so I'll post some more pics then.

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

Cool. Typical Mustang damage. There's nothing wrong with brazing when done correctly, which is also true with welding. There are many tube framed formula race cars which were brazed.

+1 with RPM.  Silicon bronze brazing (some call it welding but it's not) was very common "back in the day" and remains very common in a lot of custom work.  The material (silicon bronze) is a critical part of the job as plain-Jane brazing rod is nowhere near as strong.

I do a lot of TIG brazing with silicon bronze and really like it to build up panel edges for tight-gap work, etc.  It definitely has it's place.