Sign in to follow this  
69Stanger408

Column / Pedal assembly fitment

What did I do wrong? I cant seem to get the pedal assembly to fit with column or vice versa. Even tried with original column (I have the ididit, both have 2" shaft) no luck. Seems like I have something wrong but the holes to the firewall appear to line up (have the master cylinder connected. Assistance (and pics) would help tremendously, the shop manual doesn't lend much assistance and this crap was taken out 10 years ago.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Is your brake pedal in the holes closest to the firewall? That's where power brake pedals mount. Manual or auto trans? Pedal in your first pic is an auto trans power brake pedal.

My manual trans manual brakes set up. Rusty set up is 70 manual trans power brakes.

Pedal_Bracket_007.JPG

Pedal_Bracket_002.JPG

16 minutes ago, RogerC said:

Is your brake pedal in the holes closest to the firewall? That's where power brake pedals mount. Manual or auto trans? Pedal in your first pic is an auto trans power brake pedal.

My manual trans manual brakes set up. Rusty set up is 70 manual trans power brakes.

Pedal_Bracket_007.JPG

Pedal_Bracket_002.JPG

Converting from an automatic to a manual and power to non-power due to low vacuum (large cam). I got the clutch pedal from Modern Drive Line, came with new bushings and bolt. I know I need to trim the brake pedal but I can't get it to install w/column. It sits on the same bolt as the clutch does correct. The last pic of yours looks like it does not?

There are 4 brake pedals; manual trans manual brakes (my first pic), manual trans power brakes (second pic), auto trans manual brakes, and auto trans power brakes. The manual brake pedals mount on the clutch pedal shaft. The power brake pedals mount with a bolt thru the pivot end of the pedal and high up on the bracket, they're longer. Sounds like you need the same one I have (top pic).

Took it all brake pedal out, here is what I got. As you can see right off the bat, the brake hangs much lower than the clutch. Was on the understanding the pedals are interchangeable (power/nonpower & man/auto). The brake pedal is the original which is for power w/auto trans. Now going to manual brakes with manual trans. Sounds like I need to mount the brake pedal in the upper hole, closet to the firewall? Assume there is a bushing or something for this?

20170622_195853.jpg

20170622_195916(1).jpg

20170622_195941(1).jpg

48 minutes ago, 69Stanger408 said:

Took it all brake pedal out, here is what I got. As you can see right off the bat, the brake hangs much lower than the clutch. Was on the understanding the pedals are interchangeable (power/nonpower & man/auto). The brake pedal is the original which is for power w/auto trans. Now going to manual brakes with manual trans. Sounds like I need to mount the brake pedal in the upper hole, closet to the firewall? Assume there is a bushing or something for this?

No, you need the shorter manual brakes pedal. The pedal you have should be mounted in the upper holes but it will not work with manual brakes. There is a different working ratio between the manual pedals and the power pedals. The manual pedals provide more mechanical advantage over power brake pedals to reduce pedal effort.