lalojamesliz

Reverse rotation water pump?

Hey guys, I'm down to a few things to figure out for my 408w and the water pump is next.

I was looking at some pulley sets on summit but then I began to wonder if it has to be a reverse rotation pump......  

I have a timing cover from a 69 351w I wanted to use if possible.... I don't have a alternator yet or the pulley kit if you guys have recommendations. Nothing special,  just as long as it works and looks decent. 

I will only need to run the alternator and water pump because I'm going with electric fans, mechanical fuel pump, electric power steering and no a.c. 

Thanks guys

The determining factor weather the water pump needs to be reverse rotation or not is if the groove side of the serpentine pulls the pump it will be standard rotation  and if the smooth side pulls the pump it will be a reverse rotation. The angles of the ports in the timing chain cover  are shaped differently between the reverse and standard rotations too. Not sure if you can find a timing chain cover for reverse rotation with the machined boss for the manual fuel pump, maybe I don't know. If it has the boss for it though it could be machined.

Your best bet would try to stay with a serpentine grooved pulley  for the water pump and use your 69 timing chain cover.

Are you changing to a serpentine belt or are you going to use the OEM v-belts?  When you were talking about reverse rotation water pump you led me to believe you were going to serpentine belt.

7 hours ago, det0326 said:

Are you changing to a serpentine belt or are you going to use the OEM v-belts?  When you were talking about reverse rotation water pump you led me to believe you were going to serpentine belt.

Since I only need to run the alternator and water pump I wanted to keep the cost low on this part and keep the OEM v-belts 

I still have the pulleys and brackets from the 1969 351w engine I took out of a 69 cougar. It had ac and ps but I don't need those now.

I wanted to use those pulleys and brackets if possible but I'll use whatever I have to finish this assembly