jgkurz

Header install with an FE

Hi all, I am getting close to installing my FE and trans in my 69. I hear header installation is a major PITA with an FE. Because of my header design I'm not able to install the headers on the engine before installation. I also don't have the exhaust system completed yet. 

I think my best option is to get the engine/trans into the engine bay while on the hoist then start bolting up the headers. Somehow I need to tie the headers to the shocktowers/apron while lowering in the engine. 

Do any of you have experience dealing with all this?

-John

Hi John, I just installed custom headers in my 69 that has a FE 390.  I installed the headers first then installed the engine.  Then I installed the T-5 tranny and etc. That seem to be the most efficient way for me.  I would do the same again.  Here is what I learned.

1.  My custom headers hit in 3 spots.  The top idler arm bolt, passenger side motor mount corner and driver's side shock tower brace.  So it was easier to pull the engine and fix the three areas.  So much for custom fit headers. 

2.  When the engine was in you could not have got all the bolts in.  I assume you could raise the motor and work over the fenders to install them.  So much easier when out and greatly lowers the chance of exhaust leaks.

3.  Less chance of damaging the engine, engine bay or vehicle.  

Mark    

Thanks guys. The headers are a Blair Patrick design made by REF Unlimited in Arizona. They got me another 20hp compared to the large tube dyno headers. They will be a joy to install but the power gain is worth the hassle..

Now that we know they are individual tube headers, that can make a difference.

i think that way I would do it would be to drop the engine in place and the lift the whole car onto stands.

then put the engine lift back in and raise the engine a bit.

you should then be able to get the individual tubes in place finger tight only.

then you will want to install the collectors and then tighten everything up.

imwould recomend the use of copper gaskets

bob

I like the Remflex gaskets.  2 years now and no leaks.  Those headers look similar to the old Super Stock headers used on the 68 Mustangs when they made the debut of the 428 Cobra Jet into drag racing, and caused many MOPAR and GM tears and whines!

I looked into Remflex gaskets but they are thicker @ .125. I know it doesn't seem like much but I need thinner gaskets so my header flangers fit between my shock towers. I don't have a mm to spare. 

55 minutes ago, jgkurz said:

I looked into Remflex gaskets but they are thicker @ .125. I know it doesn't seem like much but I need thinner gaskets so my header flangers fit between my shock towers. I don't have a mm to spare. 

the soft aluminum gaskets are thinner.