Sign in to follow this  
TomM

5.0 Accessories for 1970 Fastback

I'm still looking for a powerplant for my 1970 rolling shell.  Currently I'm considering a 1998 Mountaineer 5.0 that's been converted to carb, v-belt and front sump, but I can't witness it run before purchase (already been pulled).  I'm also looking at a 1996 Explorer 5.0 HO that I can witness run, still has the EFI.  I would prefer to have the carb setup but unsure about converting to v belt or sticking with the serpentine.  If I get the Explorer motor, will the 1996 PS pump and AC compressor work in a 1970 Mustang or should I install the 1970 pump and compressor?  Thanks, Tom

According to this belt diagram the Alternator, PS, AC are on the same sides of the car.  However the PS pump won't work with the stock Power Assist box.  But you could call around and see if it would work with one of the Rack and Pinion Kits.  Also you'd probably need some custom hoses made to length as the Mustang has the A/C Above the PS.  Also I have no idea if the AC Compressor would work.  I don't know why it wouldn't work.  But again you might be in to getting custom hoses made.

Converting it to Carb and V-Belt is easy enough new intake + Carb + Bolts (I think the 5.0 uses metric bolts for the accessories but maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong)  + Oil Pan + Oil Pick-Up + Water Pump + Timing Cover.  It sounds like a lot but if the engine is out I don't think it is that hard.

FIg_12-388x500.jpg

I believe the explorer 5.0 has an odd water pump in reverse rotation. Think that's going to be trouble for a v belt set up. You'll need to change to old style timing cover and standard water pump. 

Thanks for the tips and diagrams MN69Grande and Stangn.  What is the more common approach - retrofit the 70 accessories to the 5.0 or use the 5.0 accessories?

So the real advantage to the 5.0 accessories is the serpentine belt.  So another option is to use your old accessories and get a new serpentine kit.  They go for anywhere from $600-2500 dollars.   Check what type of bolts you need (metric/SAE) and ask them to send you that type.  I think I probably see more people use their old accessories just because it means less changes in the other systems.  But that is just me.

9 hours ago, six_sigma said:

http://www.cvfracing.com have some very nice set ups at a very competative price. I got my v-belt pulley kit from them and it was very well made.

I've seen their Beast Kit before and it is super enticing at 1/2 the price of most Serpentine kits.  Maybe a future project.  The one concern I have is that they use 2 belts and I don't think I would have clearance with the electric fans.  Anyone use one of these serpentine kits with the Contour Fans?