RPM

Disconnect Switch used for Anti Theft

On 6/22/2017 at 9:58 PM, Cruzzar said:

A little bit off topic but the hood latch mechanism from an early '70 Ford pickup is an almost exact copy of the '69/70 Mustang  except that it has a cable release instead of the under the front of the hood manual latch.  It is an exact bolt in to the Mustang's, the only difference is the safety release lever is a little different as I recall. Just pull the truck's latch and remote cable, bolt in the latch and route the cable thru the firewall and mount under the dash next to the parking brake and you have a secure hood. A coil/fuel pump disconnect is a good (and easy) safety backup. I had a coil disconnect switch under my dash of my car but I did something a little different. I purchased a flashing 12v red led light (like they use on alarm systems) and mounted it into my dash. I purchased a Dual Mode Dual Throw (DMDT) switch which allowed me to either switch on the coil when I drove the car and when I wanted to secure it I would toggle the switch which would kill the coil and at the same time turn on the flashing led. I did not have an alarm on the car but the flashing red light would be a deterrent to a possible theft.

Theres a lot of helpful advice in here.  Simple, but seemingly quite effective.  Especially doubling up on things.  Thanks for these thoughts!

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:24 PM, MN69Grande said:

So maybe this a dumb idea but when my neutral safety switch went out the car wouldn't start.  What if you wire the kill switch into that circuit?  At least for the AT guys.  Is there a similar switch on the clutch pedal to make sure it is engaged prior to starting?  Thoughts?  Then you wouldn't have the resistance on the way to the distributor. 

Nope, your idea won't do much good. All that interlock does is break the signal from the key switch to the starter solenoid.  The first thing a thief will do is jumper from +12v to the coil, the second thing they will do is to jumper  across the solenoid from +12 volts to the starter terminal on the solenoid.   When they do the second thing, it does not matter if the neutral safety is connected or not.

My car has an electrical gas cut off valve. I have thought that if I get carjacked, all I do is touch the hidden  kill button and get out of the car. It will keep running for about 1 minute; long enough for me to get away and the crook gets nowhere.  Gas or fuel pump cutoffs have this unique advantage.

The coil advise Mach1 gave is very simple and effective.  If a car was to not start, though, and the crook has time, they can figure it out. They could see the extra wire. But what are the odds of that?  

I like the idea of removing the gas tank.  Take it with you to dinner or the movie. I can't imagine any problems with that!

20 minutes ago, mwye0627 said:

Thanks Bob!!!!    As my brother said, "it's just another trip around the Sun"...

It's been a Good One!!!

By the way, you have a private message.

On 6/18/2017 at 5:16 AM, Mike65 said:

When I had a 68 GT back in the 80's when I would leave the car I would just pull the dist rotor & take it with me.

54752-my-1968-j-code-gt-coupe-upstate-ny

Why wouldnt you just pull the coil plug? For those of you who have 4 spd cars rest assured that a large chunk (and getting bigger every day) cant drive a stick 'so I got that going for me'. Not to mention even more people wouldnt know how to open the hood (where is the hood release on the driver kick panel?).

I agree that a little piece of mine is still needed and have had similar cars that have little switches between the coil and the distrib hidden somewhere under the dash.

2 hours ago, 69volunteer said:

Why wouldnt you just pull the coil plug? 

I figured that there would be a chance who ever would want to try to steal my Mustang might have an extra plug wire they could use as a coil wire, but the chance they had a dist rotor seemed slim, plus I would clip the dist cap back on so it looked normal like nothing was missing if they popped the hood but yet the car still would not start  & the attempted thieves would probably leave it & find one easier to steal.

On 4/21/2019 at 7:23 AM, Mach1 Driver said:

I detailed how to make a magnetic kill switch over in the "How Tos" section. Its titled "The Ultimate Kill Switch ?".

This is a great idea, and I have a bit more to add to it.  Take this idea  a bit more.  But instead of the magnet, use the windshield washer output.  Every time you get in the car, you turn the key to the run position, tap the washer button right next to it for a half second, and then start the car.  Tapping the washer button for a half second will engage the relay and allow the car to be started and run.   Every time you go to start the car, you need to tap the washer button before cranking the starter.  Without tapping the washer button,  the car will crank but never start.   A half second push of the washer will probably not be enough to actually get any fluid on you windshield. 

I think it is a brilliant idea. No secret or hidden switch. No secret code. No difficult installation. No magnets.  And you do not need to remove the steering wheel or gas tank!

On 5/1/2019 at 9:57 PM, danno said:

This is a great idea, and I have a bit more to add to it.  Take this idea  a bit more.  But instead of the magnet, use the windshield washer output.  Every time you get in the car, you turn the key to the run position, tap the washer button right next to it for a half second, and then start the car.  Tapping the washer button for a half second will engage the relay and allow the car to be started and run.   Every time you go to start the car, you need to tap the washer button before cranking the starter.  Without tapping the washer button,  the car will crank but never start.   A half second push of the washer will probably not be enough to actually get any fluid on you windshield. 

I think it is a brilliant idea. No secret or hidden switch. No secret code. No difficult installation. No magnets.  And you do not need to remove the steering wheel or gas tank!

See details of this in the "Ultimate Kill Switch" discussion.