Sign in to follow this  
gazda520

wiring for replacement wiper motor

Need help please.  installing a n American Autowire classic upgrade harness.  Purchased a replacement wiper motor from NPD.  Motor has a plastic 4 postion wire connector.  Original motor had a rubber 4 position connector that matches the new harness I purchased.  Decided to cut the old rubber connector and replace the new plastic connector so it would be a plug and play situation.  Soldered red to red, white to white.  figured there was no way that would be wrong.  Then the black wire I mated to green , which left only one wire, which I beleive was blue at the motor and I cant remember what it was on the American Auto wire plug.  Is this correct?

The colors of the replacement are not necessarily meant to be the same as the original.  So matching color for color will not necessarily be correct.  What we will probably need to be able to help you is to know what the 4 wires are for on your replacement motor.  The odds are the place you got it also has a description of the wires. Maybe there is a sheet of paper in the box that says where each wire is for?   Do you have an ohmmeter?  One of the 4 wires is probably ground, and if you measure between the case of the motor and one of the wires, you should get close to zero ohms on the ground wire.

The 4 wires are probably the high speed motor, low speed motor, park switch, and ground. Now what colors are they, and we can tell you what colors they should connect to in a standard factory wire harness.  if you have a American upgrade, then you need to find where they connect from the schematic they provided.

A stock motor has a SPDT position switch. One throw is connected to chassis. This is known as the Park contact.

Red goes to the other throw of the motor position switch. This contact is known as Run, but is not marked.

Black goes to the common contact of the motor position switch

Blue goes to the motor Hi speed coil

White goes to the motor Lo speed coil

Perhaps the attached schematic will help

MUSTANG SCHEMATIC PG4.pdf