copb8

Validate 1970 Texas License Plates

I bought a set of 1970 license plates in excellent condition at the Good Guys car show. I just got back from the DMV (second visit :-() to have them registered to my car. They told me that there has to be 3 digits after the the 3 letters and that mine isn't valid because it only has 2.

I've pretty sure mine aren't counterfeit and they appear like well kept original plates. Anyway, why would someone go through all the trouble to counterfeit such a low value item.

So, I'm not done arguing yet. Maybe someone here can help point me to a resource that I can research the validity of the plates.

5942d207b4742_1970plate.jpg.0c63da2529214ada749ce34b5f9224a4.jpg

I ended up talking to the Austin specialty plate department and they validated the plate and provided documentation.

Now I'm sitting and waiting at the DMV again. :-(

I'll post the document later for future searchers.

Good for you  Sounds like you may be onto something ?  The California DMV and AAA gave me nothing but grief when registering my car.  Finally gave up trying the do it yourself method and went to a professional registration business.  They had no trouble at all and the service only cost me $50.  Brian

I'm trying to do the something similar in Washington except I have a collector plate on it right now ( no yearly renewal fee ) rear only not required to have a front plate on a collector car I'm trying to get a written waiver to have the original plate from San Jose California on the front.

One person will tell me it's ok by phone go down to DMV to get the waiver they always have a different answer can't have 2 different states plates on a collector or any car.   

I found the RCW once that states the original can be on the front can't find it again.

Glad you are making progress, unless something has changed, I had to send my Florida tag to the land

of the northern bureaucrats (Tallahassee)  where you cool your heels and hope they says yes and send (it) back.

Had some weird rules about discoloration modification, etc.  I'm sure the concern is about making sure they can

mail me red light or toll violation tickets. 

JIM

Glad for you on the plates. I know when I registered mine, they were saying they weren't white enough....."Jesus lady, there almost 50 years old, everything fades".

There is no way I could park my car in a lot like that, door dings or worst case theft. Mine doesn't leave my sight when I take her out

Yeah, I normally park waaay out in the North 40! That was at the DMV and I was just lucky to be able to park anywhere at all. Spots are surprisingly wide and I was watching it from the window the whole time.

I do need to start thinking about anti theft devices tho. 

I keep my garage door padlocked from the inside and rotor is now removed from distrib. parking out in the North 40, there's always that one guy that will still park next to ya and it also makes it very visible to the thief (POS) driving by.

She never leaves my sight, when out of the garage!!!

nice looking Mach 1. My experience with Dallas County DMV is that they don't know when it is outside of the box of a typical registration. I have two sets of vintage year plates on two different cars. One I pay annually registration fees, the other every 5 years. Who knows how it is set up in their system.

I would have referred you to my source Mike Schmitt PL8 DOC. He lives over in Coppell and restores these in his retirement. He probably could have answered (although not provided documentation).

Glad you got it worked out.

whoever told you that was full of it. my 69 plates are JNJ72 and had zero issues with the numbers. But one thing that did erk me was the fact that the lady made me paint mine silver with black letters vs the original white/black that they are were originally.